Connect with us

F1 top news

Manor to appear on 2015 entry list on Friday

Published

on

B-27-E5WkAAz6pU
Friday is another crucial day in the history of the reborn Marussia team.

Now called Manor, the backmarker is expected to be listed on the delayed 2015 entry list, which is set to be released by the governing FIA on Friday.

It will then give the team exactly one week to complete the 2015 adaptations to its 2014 cars, pass the mandatory crash tests, and pack up the equipment to be shipped to Australia next Friday.

Crash tests with FIA observers have been booked for March 5 — the day before the F1 freight deadline.

The FIA’s entry fee of over half a million dollars has been paid, and rookie Will Steven’s name lodged as the first race driver.

McLaren-linked duo Kevin Magnussen and Stoffel Vandoorne are reportedly in the running for the other seat.

McLaren is staying put as a technology partner and wind tunnel supplier, and fellow creditor Ferrari is making available a supply of 2014-spec engines, “but only if EUR 10 million is paid in advance”, reported Auto Motor und Sport.

It is already known that former Sainsbury’s boss Justin King is one of the team saviours, but on Friday the leader of the British consortium became known — Stephen Fitzpatrick.

He heads a British electricity and gas supplier called Ovo Energy.

It is believed Manor will race with a British racing license, honouring not only the new owners but also founder John Booth, whose Yorkshire facility is now housing the team.

But there is no guarantee Manor’s planned resurrection will actually succeed.

Firstly, the car will surely be hopelessly off the pace, as the rest of the field has made a couple of seconds per lap of progress since 2014.

“If they are ten seconds off the pace,” Felipe Massa is quoted by f1-insider.com, “it would be better if they did not come back.”

That sort of laptime deficit would also see Manor fall foul of the 107 per cent qualifying rule.

Bernie Ecclestone, meanwhile, reportedly fears Manor’s investors are only making the rescue bid in order to collect the $47 million in official prize money from 2014.

“Apparently,” said correspondent Michael Schmidt, “Ecclestone has asked the new owners to deposit the same amount in the bank, just to make sure the project is reputable.

“Until now, only a tenth of the sum has been lodged,” he added. (GMM)

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2018 F17 hours ago

Alonso exit shows F1 ‘sick’ – Perez

Fernando Alonso’s plight shows that F1 is “sick”. That is the claim of Force India driver Sergio Perez, referring to...

2018 F17 hours ago

Kubica has ‘made decision’ about 2019

Robert Kubica looks certain to secure the second race seat at Williams for 2019. At an event in northern Poland,...

2018 F17 hours ago

Dutch GP preparations to take years

Belgian grand prix boss Andre Maes doubts the Netherlands can quickly put together an F1 project. After 35 years promoting...

2018 F17 hours ago

Toto Wolff is offering a place for Seidl in Mercedes

Mercedes looks set to recruit a top official from Porsche’s highly successful Le Mans team. Porsche ended its highly successful...

2018 F12 days ago

F1 has ‘other options’ to British GP – Carey

Chase Carey has admitted a cloud still hangs over the future of the British grand prix. Last year, Silverstone’s owner,...

2018 F12 days ago

Carey admits no ‘new engine’ for 2021

Chase Carey has admitted F1’s engines will not change significantly for 2021. Earlier, Liberty Media wanted drastically different engines compared...

2018 F12 days ago

Lewis Hamilton says he is not interested in Formula E

Lewis Hamilton says he is not interested in Formula E because of the lack of petrol power, sound and speed....

2018 F12 days ago

Carey defends ending F1 betting sponsorship ban

Chase Carey has defended F1’s move into the world of gambling. For four decades, former F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone did...

2018 F13 days ago

Brazil ramps up efforts to keep grand prix

Organisers of the Brazilian grand prix have ramped up efforts to keep Interlagos on the F1 calendar. The contract expires...

2018 F13 days ago

Marchionne death hurt Ferrari morale – Tronchetti Provera

Ferrari is “very close” to its goal of bringing the title back to Maranello after more than a decade. That...




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media