Connect with us

F1 2015 Barcelona Testing

Alonso hit wall at 105kph – report

Published

on

Alonso hit wall at 105kph
Fernando Alonso struck the wall at 105 kilometres per hour last Sunday.

That was the claim on Friday of Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport, as the period of great mystery and controversy surrounding the Spaniard’s bizarre accident continues.

Many eyes are pointing in McLaren-Honda’s direction, wondering if the Woking camp is being defensive in order to protect itself or its star driver.

For instance, when Ron Dennis addressed the ranks of international media on Thursday, he failed to present any video, medical or telemetry data to back the official story.

Felipe Massa, however, hit back at the conspiracies.

“Why would McLaren lie?” said the Brazilian. “They know perfectly well that the FIA investigation will reveal everything.”

The biggest mystery is how an apparently minor accident, causing little visible damage to the MP4-30, could have damaged Alonso the point that he was knocked out, left with amnesia, and needed four days in hospital.

Not only that, he is sitting out this week’s Barcelona testing and is even in doubt for the Australian grand prix in two weeks.

Romain Grosjean, however, told reporters that he can imagine how the damage was done.

“If you hit sideways,” said the Frenchman, “the wishbones are not designed to break that way. If it stays in one piece, the energy has to go somewhere and that’s in the driver.”

McLaren may not have divulged telemetry evidence, but GPS data of the crash has now emerged.

Auto Motor und Sport said the speed of Alonso’s crash was calculated based on rival teams’ GPS information, showing that the 33-year-old lost control in turn three at just 135kph — much slower than if he had been on the limit.

He hit the wall at 105kph, the report added.

The German report also claimed that the first impact was recorded at 31G in the car, but just 16G in the accelerometer located in Alonso’s ear.

And Auto Motor und Sport continued: “Alonso’s helmet looked brand new, as though it had come straight out of the packet. Not a single scratch.”

Correspondent Michael Schmidt quoted a paddock voice as saying: “Maybe Fernando had a medical problem, such as a small stroke.

“That would better explain the doctor’s caution and the long hospitalisation.” (GMM)

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2018 F111 hours ago

F1 teams worried about Brexit crisis

F1 teams admit they are worried about the Brexit crisis that is occurring in Britain. After British people voted in...

2018 F111 hours ago

‘I have mixed feelings’ about Kubica return – Vettel

Sebastian Vettel says he has “mixed feelings” about Robert Kubica’s return to formula one. Former grand prix winner Kubica, now...

2018 F111 hours ago

Monza seeking EUR 100m for upgrade

Monza is looking for EUR 100 million to upgrade the Italian grand prix venue and secure a new grand prix...

2018 F11 day ago

Sirotkin to test DTM, Hartley to Porsche

Sergey Sirotkin could keep his motor racing career alive in the German touring car series DTM. SMP Racing, his Russian...

2018 F11 day ago

McLaren not ‘copying’ Red Bull car – Sainz

Carlos Sainz has played down claims McLaren is ‘copying’ Red Bull’s chassis concept for 2019. With Red Bull moving to...

2018 F11 day ago

Barcelona hopes for new F1 contract

Organisers of the Spanish grand prix are still not sure they will reach a new agreement with Liberty Media. Vicenc...

2018 F13 days ago

Berger sees F1 chance for nephew Auer

is hoping his nephew may have a future in formula one. One the one hand, the F1 legend said he...

2018 F13 days ago

Hamilton teammate Bottas ‘is not there’ – Verstappen

Max Verstappen has admitted he will try to emulate Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes’ approach to winning the world championship. The...

2018 F13 days ago

Mexico GP future in doubt

A cloud has moved above the future of the highly popular Mexican grand prix. The rejuvenated race at the iconic...

2018 F13 days ago

“I did not lose confidence in myself at any time,” – Carlos Sainz

Carlos Sainz says he will do his best to “lead” McLaren from the cockpit in 2019. The Spaniard is moving...




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media