Connect with us

Australian GP

Alonso not injured but in doubt for Australian GP – McLaren

Published

on

10659228_881190848569458_3118747365608548729_n
Two weeks before the 2015 season begins, the participation of McLaren-Honda’s star driver is in doubt.

Team supremo Ron Dennis addressed the media in Barcelona on Thursday and admitted it is possible Fernando Alonso will not be in Melbourne.

Five days after the Spaniard’s mysterious crash at the circuit last Sunday, Dennis insisted the British team is not “concealing” anything about the circumstances, not “protecting” the team or its driver.

It is amid an air of confusion and conspiracy about the crash, with rumours ranging from electrocution to seizure.

Dennis did admit that Alonso was briefly unconscious but he says that was because the car was blown off the circuit by a gust of wind.

Telemetry or video evidence was not presented, but Dennis did say McLaren had been in contact with a spectator who backed up the team’s claim that heavy winds were swirling at turn 3.

He insists the telemetry proves McLaren’s claim the KERS did not malfunction and electrocute Alonso, adding that medical tests on Alonso also agree.

But curiously, Dennis backtracked on the earlier news that Alonso was concussed, although admitted the driver has suffered a “loss of memory”.

“The CT and MRI scans were completely clear, no indication of any damage,” he said. “There was no concussion detected in the scan and physically he is perfect.”

He said Alonso is therefore keen to be testing this week, but has been sidelined on the advice of doctors.

“The doctor said if you really want to be sure, and you want to give him the best chance of going to Australia then the best thing to do is to rest him.”

But Dennis also admitted whether or not Alonso will be racing in Melbourne is currently “unquantifiable”.

“I can’t foresee any reason why not, but I’m not the doctor,” he said.

“There will be some tests, there are processes laid down within the FIA, and I can’t see any reason why he won’t sail through. But it’s not for me to determine.”

As for the media intrigue, and the apparently unnecessary three-night hospital stay, Dennis speculated that the “level of focus was extreme because Fernando is Fernando”.

He also said doctors are generally being “super cautious” about blows to the head in sports, even though the accelerometer in Alonso’s ear showed a lower than 15G impact.

“He is completely lucid and normal. He is devoid of injuries. There was no injury, there was no electrocution.”

The leading conspiracy theory at present is that some sort of seizure may have caused Alonso to crash.

Former F1 doctor Gary Hartstein said on Twitter: “Gut feeling? He’s had a medical problem that caused him to stop his car. I hope that’s not the case.”

Dennis did not completely rule that out, but said McLaren has “no data” to support the theory.

He said Alonso suffered memory loss but, amazingly, Dennis admitted to not actually asking the Spaniard his opinion about what caused the crash.

“I haven’t had that conversation with him yet,” said Dennis. “There’s a time and a place.” (GMM)

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2018 F14 hours ago

Hamilton and Vettel Battling For The F1 Title

95SharesThe British Grand Prix at Silverstone is one that Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes have dominated for years and that trend...

2018 F13 days ago

Can Red Bull Challenge Mercedes And Ferrari?

24SharesSo, things didn’t exactly go to plan for Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes at Silverstone as the Brit made a disastrous...

2018 F14 days ago

Liberty working on securing future of British GP – Brawn

5SharesRoss Brawn says Liberty Media is working on securing the future of the British grand prix. Silverstone owner the BRDC...

2018 F14 days ago

Grosjean form ‘unacceptable’ – Haas F1

1ShareGunther Steiner says a “critical moment” could come amid his patience with struggling Haas driver Romain Grosjean. Frenchman Grosjean has...

2018 F14 days ago

No ‘negotiations’ with Raikkonen yet – McLaren

35Shares Zak Brown says McLaren has not yet opened contract talks with former team driver Kimi Raikkonen. It is rumoured in...

2018 F14 days ago

Wolff wants Hamilton beyond 2020

657SharesToto Wolff has revealed he wants to keep Lewis Hamilton at Mercedes even beyond 2020. Although not yet announced, it...

2018 F15 days ago

Renault engine power deficit a bigger problem – Verstappen

5SharesMax Verstappen says Red Bull’s title chances have taken a dive. Although the Dutchman won in Austria, he says at...

2018 F16 days ago

Ricciardo admits 2019 Red Bull contract ‘likely’

1ShareDaniel Ricciardo now says it is “likely” he will stay at Red Bull in 2019. Earlier, the Red Bull driver...

2018 F16 days ago

Alonso no fan of proposed expand points system

44SharesFernando Alonso says he is not sure changing the points system is a good move for F1. Over the British...

2018 F16 days ago

Renault felt like F2 engine – Verstappen

105SharesMax Verstappen says he feels as though he has been relegated to Formula 2. In the Honda era, Fernando Alonso...




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media