Connect with us

F1 2015 Barcelona Testing

Wind caused Alonso’s crash – McLaren

Published

on

Alonso
McLaren has hit back at the conspiracy theories about Fernando Alonso’s testing crash on Sunday.

With the Spaniard still in intensive care, the conspicuous delay in McLaren’s explanation about the cause of the crash and his precise medical condition had fuelled wild rumours.

Was he electrocuted by KERS? Did leaking battery fumes render him drowsy or unconscious before he hit the wall? Had the newly Honda-powered MP4-30 spectacularly failed?

“It was just an accident,” Flavio Briatore, reportedly still involved in Alonso’s management, insisted to Italian radio Rai.

At the same time, McLaren finally issued a detailed media statement not only about Alonso’s health, but the circumstances of the crash at high-speed turn three.

And Alonso’s personal manager, Luis Garcia Abad, posted to social media a photograph of the smiling 33-year-old sitting up in his hospital bed.

McLaren said its star recruit is indeed making a “solid recovery”, after all medical tests so far came back with “completely normal” results.

The British team said Alonso remains in hospital for now for “observation and to recover from the effects” of medication given to sedate the driver after the crash.

McLaren also explained its radio silence in the wake of the crash, which had arguably given rise to the wildest rumours about the cause.

The team said it has been busily “carrying out a detailed analysis” of the car’s damage and telemetry, which shows that Alonso lost control when he ran onto Astroturf.

“Our findings indicate that the accident was caused by the unpredictably gusty winds at that part of the circuit at that time,” McLaren added, “and which had affected other drivers similarly” including Carlos Sainz, who also crashed.

McLaren stated “categorically” that the evidence does not point to mechanical or aerodynamic failure, and also said Honda’s energy recovery system did not shock Alonso.

“That last point refutes the erroneous rumours that have spread recently to the effect that Fernando was rendered unconscious by an electrical fault,” the team insisted.

“Our data clearly shows that he was downshifting while applying full brake pressure right up to the moment of the first impact — something that clearly would not have been possible had he been unconscious at the time.”

McLaren’s claim is also backed by emerging photographic evidence in the press, depicting a single solid tyre mark all the way to the wall, and a crash angle that was more acute than first thought.

“It was a significant lateral impact,” the team agreed.(GMM)

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2018 F11 day ago

Abu Dhabi happy to stay season finale

Abu Dhabi wants to remain the last grand prix on F1’s annual calendar. That is despite that fact that, as...

2018 F12 days ago

Red Bull drivers expect Honda progress in 2019

Red Bull’s 2019 drivers do not expect Honda to have a field-beating engine at the beginning of next season. Pierre...

2018 F12 days ago

Renault CEO arrested in Japan

Carlos Ghosn, the top executive of the Renault F1 team’s parent car manufacturer, has been arrested in Japan. State prosecutors...

2018 F12 days ago

Friends know nothing of Schumacher condition

Even Mick Schumacher’s closest racing friends know nothing about the condition of the 19-year-old F3 champion’s famous father. The entire...

2018 F12 days ago

Williams set to announce Kubica on Thursday

Williams looks set to announce Robert Kubica as its second driver for 2019 this weekend in Abu Dhabi. Journalist Cezary...

2018 F13 days ago

” Mick must be incredibly strong to do the same job “- Alain Prost

Alain Prost is expecting Mick Schumacher to step up to Formula 2 in 2019. This year, the son of Prost’s...

2018 F13 days ago

Prost ‘not unhappy’ Red Bull deal ending

Alain Prost says he is not sad that Renault’s long collaboration with Red Bull is finally ending. The two parties...

2018 F13 days ago

Ticktum, Albon in doubt for Toro Rosso seat

A new question mark hangs above the second Toro Rosso cockpit for 2019. Daniil Kvyat has been signed up already,...

2018 F13 days ago

F1 boss Carey visits Rio de Janeiro

Rio de Janeiro has emerged as a potential future F1 race host. With Interlagos to be privatised and Liberty Media...

2018 F13 days ago

Alonso not ruling out F1 return for 2020

Fernando Alonso is not ruling out a full-time return to formula one for 2019. Disenchanted with the category, the double...




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media