Connect with us

2015 F1

Mercedes proposes new solution for cockpit safety

Published

on

  • 11
    Shares

Mercedes-Cockpitschutz-fotoshowImage-b5b58990-845808
Reigning champions Mercedes have proposed a new solution to the ever-present problem of cockpit safety in formula one.

Canopies and roll-cages have been discussed at length behind closed doors since the fatal accident of F2 racer Henry Surtees, and the serious injuries sustained by Felipe Massa when he was a Ferrari driver in 2009.

The issue then returned to the top of the agenda late last year, when the now stricken Jules Bianchi’s helmeted head hit the underside of a trackside vehicle during the Japanese grand prix.

According to Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport, Mercedes presented a proposed solution to the problem of F1’s open cockpits to the latest meeting of the Technical Working Group.

It is a sort of oval-shaped ‘halo’, encircling the driver’s head and attached to the front of the monocoque just ahead of the steering wheel and dash.

“Less respectful voices are calling it a toilet seat,” said correspondent Michael Schmidt. (GMM)

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2018 F11 hour ago

Red Bull drivers expect Honda progress in 2019

11SharesRed Bull’s 2019 drivers do not expect Honda to have a field-beating engine at the beginning of next season. Pierre...

2018 F11 hour ago

Renault CEO arrested in Japan

11SharesCarlos Ghosn, the top executive of the Renault F1 team’s parent car manufacturer, has been arrested in Japan. State prosecutors...

2018 F11 hour ago

Friends know nothing of Schumacher condition

11SharesEven Mick Schumacher’s closest racing friends know nothing about the condition of the 19-year-old F3 champion’s famous father. The entire...

2018 F12 hours ago

Williams set to announce Kubica on Thursday

11SharesWilliams looks set to announce Robert Kubica as its second driver for 2019 this weekend in Abu Dhabi. Journalist Cezary...

2018 F123 hours ago

” Mick must be incredibly strong to do the same job “- Alain Prost

11SharesAlain Prost is expecting Mick Schumacher to step up to Formula 2 in 2019. This year, the son of Prost’s...

2018 F123 hours ago

Prost ‘not unhappy’ Red Bull deal ending

11SharesAlain Prost says he is not sad that Renault’s long collaboration with Red Bull is finally ending. The two parties...

2018 F124 hours ago

Ticktum, Albon in doubt for Toro Rosso seat

11SharesA new question mark hangs above the second Toro Rosso cockpit for 2019. Daniil Kvyat has been signed up already,...

2018 F11 day ago

F1 boss Carey visits Rio de Janeiro

11SharesRio de Janeiro has emerged as a potential future F1 race host. With Interlagos to be privatised and Liberty Media...

2018 F11 day ago

Alonso not ruling out F1 return for 2020

11SharesFernando Alonso is not ruling out a full-time return to formula one for 2019. Disenchanted with the category, the double...

2018 F11 day ago

Hulkenberg aims to beat Ricciardo

11SharesThe arrival of Daniel Ricciardo is an important piece of the puzzle as Renault pushes towards the front in F1,...




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media