Connect with us

F1 2015 Barcelona Testing

Wild speculation follows mysterious Alonso crash

Published

on

Fernando-Alonso-crash
Fernando Alonso’s testing crash has triggered wild speculation about the cause.

So far, McLaren is saying nothing except that it was a “normal” crash necessitating medical checks.

“Fernando’s accident was just one of those things that happens in testing,” said team boss Eric Boullier, insisting the same is also true of his trip and stay in hospital.

“Inevitably, some media reports have sought to exaggerate the severity of the incident -? it was just a normal testing accident,” the Frenchman added.

However, experts, insiders and eyewitnesses insist the Alonso crash appears anything but ‘normal’.

McLaren, for a start, did not return to the track on the final day of Barcelona running, despite Boullier admitting the crash had not damaged the MP4-30 “particularly badly”.

Photos also do not depict heavy damage to the car, despite reports Alonso was initially unconscious and then had to be sedated for his trip to hospital.

“Why does a photographer report that his head was bent to the side before the crash?” German correspondent Ralf Bach wrote on his blog f1-insider.com.

“And why so much secrecy from McLaren-Honda?”

Sebastian Vettel was travelling directly behind Alonso at the time of the crash, and he said the sight of the slow-moving McLaren suddenly swerving into the wall was “strange”.

“It did not look like an accident,” German media reports quote the Ferrari driver as saying. “He then bumped a few times down the wall until I lost sight of him.”

The major German newspaper Bild is also asking questions, particularly after F1 newcomer Honda’s recent troubles with its electronic energy-recovery systems.

“Was Alonso unconscious or drowsy already because he inhaled toxic battery fumes?” the report wondered. “Did he receive an electric shock?

“The fact that Alonso’s team is silent and stopped testing immediately makes it even more puzzling,” Bild added.

Even the authoritative Auto Motor und Sport said: “Photographers reported that it looked as though Alonso deliberately steered into the wall.”

Flanked by Boullier who shook his head at the speculation, Alonso’s manager Luis Garcia Abad denied that dizziness could have been the cause of the crash.

“There was a tremendous wind,” he told Spanish reporters, “and it pushed him against the wall.”

The wind theory was initially ridiculed by insiders, but Toro Rosso rookie Carlos Sainz also crashed on Sunday and he blamed the “very high” and “very inconsistent” wind.

Abad also played down suggestions of suspension or front wing failure, insisting “The impact with the wall caused everything else”.

“Everything happened in a normal situation for formula one,” he insisted.

“Anyway it’s not the time to talk about this. There is a man in hospital.

“We have not talked to him (Alonso) about it but we know that everything happened in conditions with a normal car. We have also not talked about the outcome of Madrid versus Elche,” Abad joked.

As for Vettel’s comments that the crash was “strange”, Abad answered: “Mr Vettel can say what he wants to say, that’s fine.” (GMM)

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2018 F13 hours ago

Giovinazzi tipped to replace Ericsson at Sauber F1

Sauber boss Frederic Vasseur has denied that taking on Kimi Raikkonen for 2019 is part of the Swiss team’s deal...

2018 F15 hours ago

Leclerc could beat Vettel at Ferrari – Marciello

Charles Leclerc could emerge as Ferrari’s number 1 driver as quickly as 2019. That is the view of racing driver...

2018 F12 days ago

I can still become world champion with my own power – Vettel

According to La Gazzetta dello Sport, the highly influential Italian sports daily, Sebastian Vettel said “Ciao Mondiali” to his hopes...

2018 F13 days ago

Vettel misses Schumacher amid 2018 F1 struggle

Sebastian Vettel thinks he would benefit from the advice of his old friend and mentor Michael Schumacher. One analysis of...

2018 F14 days ago

Verstappen says Red Bull never considered deal with Alonso

Max Verstappen says Red Bull never considered signing up Fernando Alonso for 2019. That is despite the fact that, recently,...

2018 F14 days ago

Honda poised to overtake Renault for power

Honda could be poised to overtake Renault and cease having the least powerful engine in F1. Auto Motor und Sport...

2018 F16 days ago

Pascal Wehrlein on pole for 2019 Toro Rosso race seat

Pascal Wehrlein has emerged as a top candidate to return to F1 next year. Just days ago, Mercedes admitted that...

2018 F16 days ago

I’ll be with Force India until the end of 2018 – Ocon

Esteban Ocon says he should keep his Force India cockpit for the rest of the 2018 season. Earlier, there was...

2018 F16 days ago

FIA clears legality of Ferrari’s camera-blocking ‘fan’

F1’s governing body has cleared Ferrari to keep using a controversial airbox fan. In the Singapore pits, the Italian team...

2018 F11 week ago

Ricciardo is worth top dollar – Alain Prost

Paying the big bucks for Daniel Ricciardo is an expense that Renault can fully justify. That is the view of...




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media