Connect with us

F1 2015 Barcelona Testing

Alonso could spend second night in hospital

Published

on

1011394199403.3
Fernando Alonso could spend a second night in hospital, his manager Luis Garcia Abad has admitted.

The Spaniard is currently in a Barcelona hospital after a mysterious crash during the final day of the second 2015 winter test.

The cause of the crash has not been revealed by McLaren, triggering wild theories, including that he received an electric shock from Honda’s troublesome KERS or he inhaled toxic fumes from a malfunctioning battery.

As for Alonso’s condition, the 33-year-old was reported to have been initially unconscious, and then taken first by ambulance to the circuit medical centre, and later to a nearby hospital for what McLaren called “precautionary” checks.

Jordi Vidal, a trackside photographer, is quoted by Spain’s AS newspaper: “Doctors tapped him on the helmet but he did not react. This lasted for about ten minutes.”

Vidal captured images of Alonso sliding down the wall with the right side of his MP4-30 at a fairly low speed.

According to Spanish radio Cadena SER, the newspaper cited sources at the General Hospital de Catalunya who said Alonso arrived conscious and talking to doctors.

“We have the result of the CT scan and Alonso is uninjured and fine,” a McLaren spokesman confirmed.

Team boss Eric Boullier added: “Fortunately he’s fine, but he was concussed during the accident, which therefore required an overnight stay in hospital as a precaution.”

The Frenchman also played down some of the wilder circulating rumours about the cause of the crash, with multiple sources confirming that although the crash may not have appeared overly heavy, it did trigger the FIA’s 15G impact light.

Other reports, including the Spanish broadcaster Antena 3, indicated on-board data of up to a hefty 30G impact.

According to Italy’s Autosprint, Alonso’s trainer and assistant Fabrizio Borra admitted the driver had been “agitated” after the crash, causing medical staff to administer sedatives for his trip to hospital.

Alonso’s manager Luis Garcia Abad, meanwhile, told Spanish language reporters in Barcelona that claims the driver was unwell when he stepped into the car are not true.

“The hit with the wall caused everything,” he insisted.

“He is comfortable and calm, and it was a completely normal situation.

“He is going to be observed in hospital for 24 to 48 hours,” he added.

“The important thing is that Fernando has always been conscious.”

Asked if Alonso could miss the forthcoming Barcelona test, or the season opener in Melbourne, Abad insisted: “He’s ok, I do not think there will be any problems.

“He’s fine.” (GMM)

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2018 F11 hour ago

Red Bull drivers expect Honda progress in 2019

Red Bull’s 2019 drivers do not expect Honda to have a field-beating engine at the beginning of next season. Pierre...

2018 F11 hour ago

Renault CEO arrested in Japan

Carlos Ghosn, the top executive of the Renault F1 team’s parent car manufacturer, has been arrested in Japan. State prosecutors...

2018 F11 hour ago

Friends know nothing of Schumacher condition

Even Mick Schumacher’s closest racing friends know nothing about the condition of the 19-year-old F3 champion’s famous father. The entire...

2018 F12 hours ago

Williams set to announce Kubica on Thursday

Williams looks set to announce Robert Kubica as its second driver for 2019 this weekend in Abu Dhabi. Journalist Cezary...

2018 F123 hours ago

” Mick must be incredibly strong to do the same job “- Alain Prost

Alain Prost is expecting Mick Schumacher to step up to Formula 2 in 2019. This year, the son of Prost’s...

2018 F123 hours ago

Prost ‘not unhappy’ Red Bull deal ending

Alain Prost says he is not sad that Renault’s long collaboration with Red Bull is finally ending. The two parties...

2018 F124 hours ago

Ticktum, Albon in doubt for Toro Rosso seat

A new question mark hangs above the second Toro Rosso cockpit for 2019. Daniil Kvyat has been signed up already,...

2018 F11 day ago

F1 boss Carey visits Rio de Janeiro

Rio de Janeiro has emerged as a potential future F1 race host. With Interlagos to be privatised and Liberty Media...

2018 F11 day ago

Alonso not ruling out F1 return for 2020

Fernando Alonso is not ruling out a full-time return to formula one for 2019. Disenchanted with the category, the double...

2018 F11 day ago

Hulkenberg aims to beat Ricciardo

The arrival of Daniel Ricciardo is an important piece of the puzzle as Renault pushes towards the front in F1,...




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media