Connect with us

F1 top news

25 Million F1 TV audiences drop following broadcasting switch to Pay TV

Published

on

budapest-formula-1-grand-prix-hungarian-hungaroring-hungary-rachel-brookes-ross_3026846
Television audiences ratings and major car manufacturers would appear to be ingredients Bernie Ecclestone cannot do without.

British Mail on Sunday newspaper reveals the news regarding the drop which is disclosed in F1’s annual global media report. It measures the number of unique viewers of F1 – anyone who watched at least 15 non-consecutive minutes of it.

F1, however, shed no fewer than 25 million viewers last year, but the sport’s supremo insists he is not worried because it “reflects the move FOM has made towards pay TV in several markets over the last three seasons”.

A prime example is the situation in Britain, where only a select number of grands prix are now shown free-to-air on the BBC, with only pay-channel Sky having the exclusive live rights.

That model has now been adopted in other key markets, and it has “boosted F1’s bottom line as pay TV networks are prepared to pay a premium for rights to sports events since they drive subscriber numbers”, Forbes’ F1 business journalist Christian Sylt explained.

Another fundamental shift could also be occurring in Ecclestone’s mind with regards to the very structure of the grid, which is currently dominated by the German giant Mercedes.

Ralf Bach, a correspondent for Sport Bild and TZ Munchen, claims that the 84-year-old Briton’s vision of the future is F1 potentially with ‘customer cars’.

It emerged this week that, to boost dwindling grid numbers, Ecclestone – reportedly backed by Colin Kolles and Flavio Briatore – could be hatching a deal with Red Bull to package its 2013 car with a Mecachrome V8 engine and offer it at low cost to struggling small teams.

Writing on his f1-insider.com blog, Bach claims: “In January, Ecclestone met Dietrich Mateschitz in Salzburg to discuss, inter alia, the topic of customer cars.”

Bach said that while some of the sport’s biggest players like Mercedes might not agree, Ecclestone will not necessary mind even if the German marque pulls out.

Similarly, Ecclestone might also be happy that Volkswagen is staying out of F1 for now, as its patriarch Ferdinand Piech is said to be no fan of the Ecclestone reign.

Leo Turrini, a well-known Italian F1 insider, this week quoted Briatore as apparently sharing his friend and ally Ecclestone’s vision of the sport’s future.

“The tragic mistake was with the choice of this type (turbo V6) of engine,” the former Renault boss said.

“With the noise, they killed the excitement and replaced it with technology that the public does not care about. Add that these power units are expensive and the circle is closed,” added Briatore.

“I remain of the opinion that F1 should be a championship for drivers, not for constructors.

“It’s not that I support the idea of a one-make championship, but if you introduce a technology where someone like Mercedes has a huge advantage, the basic interest in formula one declines.” (GMM/ThisisF1)

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2019 F113 hours ago

Ferrari F1 launch the SF90 for 2019 F1 season

The championship bidder Ferrari unveiled their 2019 F1 car, the SF90. In a launch event at the Ferrari HQ, the...

2019 F118 hours ago

Formula E boss not ruling out F1 merger

Alejandro Agag, the boss of Formula E, is not ruling out a “long term” merger with formula one. Once dismissed...

2019 F118 hours ago

F1 will not scrap Friday practice

F1 is not about to scrap Friday practice. That is the claim of Francois Dumontier, boss of the Canadian grand...

2019 F118 hours ago

Alonso is de-facto reserve driver – Brown

Fernando Alonso might be regarded as a de-facto “reserve driver” at McLaren this year. That is the news from team...

2019 F118 hours ago

Stroll aims to avoid war of words with Williams

Lance Stroll has hit back after his former boss accused him recently of arriving in F1 “too early”. Stroll, now...

2019 F118 hours ago

Lack of partner team no problem for Renault – Prost

Alain Prost says Renault is not missing out by not having a ‘junior’ partner team. Red Bull and Toro Rosso...

2019 F118 hours ago

New Alfa Romeo has revolutionary front wing

Sauber’s Alfa Romeo-branded new car for 2019 turned heads when it hit the Fiorano circuit for a shakedown on Thursday....

2019 F11 day ago

Kimi Raikkonen debuts 2019 Alfa Romeo Racing F1 car

Alfa Romeo Racing’s 2019 F1 car hits the track for the first time at Italy. These first images from Fiorano...

2019 F11 day ago

McLaren launches its 2019 F1 car MCL34

McLaren has launched its 2019 F1 car, the Renault-powered MCL34, at a launch event in team factory base at Woking....

2019 F12 days ago

He does not fear Daniel Ricciardo – Hulkenberg

Nico Hulkenberg says he does not fear Daniel Ricciardo. The pair’s Renault boss, Cyril Abiteboul, says 31-year-old Hulkenberg is “enormously...




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media