Connect with us

2015 F1

Mercedes scheduled urgent contract talks with Hamilton

Published

on

820623e156c3a86529cc9f9613a9d384fedcd267593f920fd0b853342d12db64_large
Mercedes has scheduled urgent contractual talks with Lewis Hamilton, as the team looks to keep its dominant pairing together beyond 2015.

Currently, the pair are set to race together once again next year, despite clashing on and off track at times as the intensity of their championship fight heated up.

Earlier this year, Mercedes extended its deal with Nico Rosberg, while teammate Hamilton’s contract is still currently set to expire at the end of 2015.

Asked why only Rosberg’s deal was extended, team boss Toto Wolff told the Austrian broadcaster ORF: “We didn’t want to be in a situation where in a year’s time there is the possibility we have to be filling not one but two places.

“Nico is an important part of the team, he fits in well and his performance is good so we wanted to extend at an early stage,” he said during the Sport am Sonntag programme.

“With Lewis,” Wolff continued, “the contract runs for another year anyway and in the summer we started to discuss (extending) it (beyond 2015).

“We have agreed that we want to continue and Lewis has said the same but at some point we decided that it was not the right time to do it. The duel was so intense so we thought it was a good idea to talk after Abu Dhabi.

“Now we have agreed that we get together on Monday in Abu Dhabi to talk about it,” said Wolff.

If confirmed, the news looks set to lock Fernando Alonso out of Mercedes for now, following speculation the Spaniard wanted to find a stop-gap solution for 2015 in order to target Hamilton’s place in silver for 2016.

But it appears Mercedes is happy with Hamilton and Rosberg, despite their run-ins this season.

Wolff was asked if he even sees the “fire” between the team’s current pairing as essential to continue Mercedes’ dominance into 2015 and beyond.

“I don’t know if fire is important,” he said. “The only thing the two are interested in is that they have the fastest race car possible. So I would say at the moment that we have a good situation.

“Clearly there are many others who would like to have this cockpit, but I hope our two see it that way as well and we can go on with this driver combination,” added Wolff.

Before the future arrives, however, the eyes of the world will be on Hamilton and Rosberg this weekend in Abu Dhabi as their 2014 championship battle reaches its conclusion.

Asked who the favourite is, Wolff told ORF: “I have been asked this question time and time again in the past days.

“Mathematically, the numbers are on Lewis’ side, but we (Mercedes) want to behave neutrally.

“Lewis is in the lead and a second place will be enough to be world champion, so Nico has to hope for a third place or worse (for Hamilton).

“If you look on the basis of the last few races, then everything points to another one-two,” he admitted. (GMM)

Loading...

Comments

Latest F1 News

Latest F1 News

2019 F11 month ago

Hamilton and Mercedes clearly coming under pressure – J Verstappen

Max Verstappen’s father thinks the on-form Red Bull driver has rattled reigning five time world champion and 2019 championship leader...

2019 F11 month ago

20hp engine boost for Ferrari after summer break

Toto Wolff is forecasting a “very strong” performance by Ferrari after the summer break. Marca sports newspaper reports that the...

2019 F11 month ago

I’m not ready for Formula E – Hulkenberg

Nico Hulkenberg says he is “not ready” to contemplate a switch to Formula E. It is strongly rumoured that if...

2019 F11 month ago

BREAKING: Albon to replace Gasly from Belgian GP

Toro Rosso’s speedy Alexander Albon will replace Pierre Gasly at Red Bull from the next race in Belgium, the F1...

2019 F11 month ago

Alonso says it is not true liking Vettel

Fernando Alonso says it is not true that he doesn’t like Sebastian Vettel. In Hungary, amid rumours the retired double...

2019 F11 month ago

F1 teams balk at expensive new regulations

F1 teams are pushing back on proposed new regulations — for reasons of cost. One idea that could be scrapped...

2019 F11 month ago

McLaren targets Sainz to beat Gasly in 2019

McLaren is targeting a coveted sixth place in the 2019 drivers’ world championship with Carlos Sainz. With Mercedes, Ferrari and...

2019 F12 months ago

F1 broadcaster fails to show Sainz in Hungary

Carlos Sainz was “the invisible man” during the recent Hungarian GP. In fact, well-known Spanish journalist Antonio Lobato claims that...

2019 F12 months ago

Marko confirms Verstappen staying at Red Bull-Honda for F1 2020

Red Bull motorsport head Dr Helmut Marko has confirmed that Max Verstappen is definitely staying at Red Bull-Honda in 2020....

2019 F12 months ago

Me and Russel are eating two different dishes – Kubica

Robert Kubica is yet to benefit from what seems to have been a clear step forward for Williams and George...

Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media