Connect with us

2014 F1

Caterham preparing for Abu Dhabi return

Published

on

d13abu1832Caterham is preparing to return to formula one for F1’s 2014 finale in Abu Dhabi next month.

As it was put into administration following founder Tony Fernandes’ ill-fated sale to Colin Kolles-managed investors, the team as well as backmarker Marussia sat out Austin and will again be absent in rainy Brazil this weekend.

But it then emerged on Wednesday that Caterham’s administrators, led by Finbarr O’Connell, have lodged an official team entry for the 2015 season.

Marussia, now renamed to the operating company Manor, is also on the provisional FIA entry list.

But reports that Caterham and Marussia have paid the $500,000 entry fee already are wide of the mark. That fee is not due until late in November.

O’Connell, however, who now runs Caterham, said it was imperative to lodge a 2015 entry so that the team is saleable.

“It’s absolutely essential,” he said. “We’re hoping the new owner will then pick up things like the fees and finalising the 2015 design.”

It would also make Caterham’s life much easier if it could appear and race in Abu Dhabi, as Bernie Ecclestone and the FIA only agreed a two-race dispensation for the backmarker teams to sort their financial problems.

O’Connell said: “I think I’ve got enough confidence now to say I’d be very surprised if we were not racing in Abu Dhabi.”

A headline at Brazil’s Globo Esporte suggested Rubens Barrichello could make a “surprise return” to F1 as Caterham looks to get back up and running.

“There are a number of parties involved,” said O’Connell, “but because the financial commitments are so huge it is difficult for people to commit. But we are making arrangements to go to there (Abu Dhabi) as we speak.”

Marussia, now Manor, has been much quieter following its slump into administration, but boss Graeme Lowdon was in Austin last weekend for meetings.

In Austin, of course, the next three endangered privateer teams Lotus, Sauber and Force India threatened to boycott the race if the sport’s owners CVC do not release more revenue.

It is reported those teams, plus Caterham and Marussia, could share a $160 million bonanza if Lotus owner Gerard Lopez’s direct negotiations with CVC chairman Donald Mackenzie are successful in the coming hours.

“Talks are progressing well,” the Guardian quoted Lopez as saying, “but I don’t expect any news before Friday.”

According to departed boss Cyril Abiteboul, however, life at the back of the grid for a team of Caterham’s scale is not viable.

The Frenchman, having returned to Renault, told Auto Hebdo: “In their (Caterham’s) situation to be in formula one, it was simply impossible.

“You only have to analyse their situation and the economic model of F1 to realise that the adventure was doomed to failure,” said Abiteboul. (GMM)

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2018 F11 day ago

F1 has ‘other options’ to British GP – Carey

Chase Carey has admitted a cloud still hangs over the future of the British grand prix. Last year, Silverstone’s owner,...

2018 F11 day ago

Carey admits no ‘new engine’ for 2021

Chase Carey has admitted F1’s engines will not change significantly for 2021. Earlier, Liberty Media wanted drastically different engines compared...

2018 F11 day ago

Lewis Hamilton says he is not interested in Formula E

Lewis Hamilton says he is not interested in Formula E because of the lack of petrol power, sound and speed....

2018 F11 day ago

Carey defends ending F1 betting sponsorship ban

Chase Carey has defended F1’s move into the world of gambling. For four decades, former F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone did...

2018 F12 days ago

Brazil ramps up efforts to keep grand prix

Organisers of the Brazilian grand prix have ramped up efforts to keep Interlagos on the F1 calendar. The contract expires...

2018 F12 days ago

Marchionne death hurt Ferrari morale – Tronchetti Provera

Ferrari is “very close” to its goal of bringing the title back to Maranello after more than a decade. That...

2018 F12 days ago

Verstappen would ‘kick psychologist out’

Max Verstappen says he regrets nothing about shoving Esteban Ocon after Sunday’s Brazilian grand prix. The Dutchman will do two...

2018 F13 days ago

Miami GP plans still not dead – Carey

Chase Carey insists that plans for a grand prix in Miami have not been scrapped. In late September, the Miami...

2018 F13 days ago

‘Only goal’ is sports car title – Alonso

Fernando Alonso says his “only goal” for now is winning the world endurance championship. The Spaniard is retiring from F1...

2018 F13 days ago

Vettel not worried about incoming Leclerc

Sebastian Vettel says he is not worried about the ambitions of his new Ferrari teammate for 2019. German Vettel has...




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media