Connect with us

2014 F1

F1 reactions to Monday’s Schumacher news

Published

on

F1 reaction to Monday Schumacher news
News on Monday that Michael Schumacher is out of his coma and hospital met a mixed reaction.

Overwhelmingly, the response was positive, with figures like Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso tweeting that he is “So happy this is going in the good direction!”

Niki Lauda told German television RTL: “I’m extremely happy. I always believed this news would come.

“Now I wish he gets through the rehab as quickly as possible and is back with us in formula one.”

Not everyone is as convinced.

Former F1 doctor Gary Hartstein said the announcement Schumacher is no longer a coma is “not news”, as his manager Sabine Kehm had said he was showing signs of consciousness and awakening many weeks ago.

“I cannot help but think that this is a highly cynical use of language, using the truth to convey an impression that is almost certainly false,” he said on his blog.

Hartstein said Monday’s media statement is telling the world “what we already know, and (we are) pretty much told to not ever expect further updates”.

Monday’s statement also said Schumacher had left the hospital in Grenoble, but a spokesman for another hospital in Lausanne, Switzerland, confirmed to the AFP news agency that the 45-year-old had been admitted there.

“This means he is just over 30 kilometres from his home,” said the German daily Bild.

The hospital spokesman told Bild: “As with any patient, we want to respect medical confidentiality.”

But the newspaper claimed Schumacher’s periods of awakening have been getting longer and longer since the last official statement in early April.

“Michael Schumacher can hear voices and respond to touch,” said Bild. “His eyes are open. He can communicate with his environment, especially his wife Corinna and his children.

“Schumacher’s condition is now considered stable enough that he no longer needs the help of the specialists in Grenoble.”

Hartstein, however, said he believes it is likely Schumacher is either only “minimally conscious” or in a “vegetative state”, with only “fluctuating signs of interaction with the environment”.

“This all leaves a very bad taste in my mouth,” he admitted. “And a huge space of sadness for Michael’s family, and for you, his fans.” (GMM)

Loading...

Comments

Latest Results

Latest F1 News

2019 F114 hours ago

Binotto no longer Ferrari technical boss

Mattia Binotto is no longer Ferrari’s technical director. With the ousting of Maurizio Arrivabene, Binotto was promoted from technical boss...

2019 F115 hours ago

Albers would return to F1 as team boss

Christijan Albers says he would accept an offer to return to Formula 1 as a team boss. The former Minardi...

2019 F115 hours ago

More trouble for 2021 Rio GP

It is not smooth sailing for the new Formula 1 track in Rio de Janeiro. Last month, we reported that...

2019 F115 hours ago

Title battle between me and Lewis – Bottas

Valtteri Bottas thinks he is in a head-to-head battle for the 2019 title with his Mercedes teammate Lewis Hamilton. After...

2019 F115 hours ago

No regrets about leaving Red Bull

Daniel Ricciardo says he has no regrets about leaving Red Bull. The Australian stunned the F1 world last year by...

2019 F115 hours ago

Vettel enduring difficult period – Prost

Sebastian Vettel is struggling through a “very difficult period”. That is the view of F1 legend Alain Prost, who today...

2019 F14 days ago

McLaren cannot win unless F1 changes – Seidl

Andreas Seidl says McLaren cannot return to title-winning form unless Formula 1 changes. The German, who arrives from Porsche’s Le...

2019 F14 days ago

Alonso says F1 still not attractive enough

Fernando Alonso has played down speculation that he is pushing for a return to Formula 1. The Spaniard, who quit...

2019 F15 days ago

Alfa Romeo confirms designer Resta’s exit

The path is clear for Simone Resta to return to Ferrari as chief designer. Alfa Romeo has now confirmed Resta’s...

2019 F15 days ago

Vettel should be Leclerc’s number 2 – Baldisserri

Ferrari should consider making Sebastian Vettel the ‘number 2’ driver behind Charles Leclerc. That is the view of former highly-experienced...

Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media