Connect with us

2014 F1

F1 to allow Stefan GP and Kolles for 2015 campaign

Published

on

  • 21
    Shares
Colin Kolles (left), team principal of HRT

Colin Kolles (left), team principal of HRT

F1 is set to allow two new teams through the paddock turnstiles for 2015. Days ago, the sport’s chief executive said the bid made by Nascar team co-owner Gene Haas to enter F1 next year has been successful.

“I think Haas will be accepted,” he said last week.

Now in Bahrain, the 83-year-old Briton said a second team has also been approved.

Zoran Stefanovich, chief of the failed Stefan GP outfit, has already confirmed he has withdrawn his application after failing to agree a 2015 engine deal.

So the second new 2015 team must be the former HRT chief, Colin Kolles, who according to Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport has the backing of wealthy Monaco-based Romanians.

Ecclestone said on Sunday: “They (Haas) will be accepted, and we’ve also accepted another team as well, although whether they’ll make it or not is another story.

“But we are happy to have another couple of teams. I’ve spoken to (FIA president) Jean Todt and we agreed.”

Meanwhile, Ecclestone also told reporters in Bahrain he is confident some rule changes will be rushed through to appease fans who are unhappy with the ‘new’ face of F1.

It appears the major changes under consideration are a relaxing of the engine ‘freeze’ rules – so that struggling Renault and Ferrari can catch up – and an extra 10kg of fuel for each car per race to end the ‘economy runs’.

But total unanimity is required, and dominant Mercedes’ Toto Wolff on Saturday said the prospect of mid-season rule changes is “absurd”.

“Mercedes are going to be behind it. I think they’ll be the leaders,” Ecclestone said.

“We can do things without them particularly losing their advantage,” he added. “Without any doubt they have done a better job and they shouldn’t be punished for that.”

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo, causing a stir in the paddock on Sunday with a rare appearance ahead of his talks with Ecclestone and Todt, is clearly pushing for changes.

But he also said he respects Mercedes’ position at the front of the pack.

“It doesn’t mean we have to change (rules) now,” said the Italian, “but we need to look ahead.

“I think not changing the rules for the short time is possible to do. I understand Mercedes’ position, but for me formula one is more important so we have to have common goals.” (GMM)

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2018 F18 hours ago

Force India to launch 2019 car in Canada

21SharesForce India has become the second F1 team to announce a reveal date for its 2019 car. Ferrari boss Maurizio...

2018 F18 hours ago

“it was a difficult experience, but it made me stronger,”- Sirotkin

21SharesSergey Sirotkin says his aim is to return to formula one in 2020. The Russian has been replaced at Williams...

2018 F19 hours ago

McLaren success is ‘long term’ aim – Sainz

21SharesCarlos Sainz says McLaren is aiming for success only in the medium to long term. The Spaniard says he is...

2018 F19 hours ago

Silverstone proposes new F1 deal for 2020

21SharesSilverstone has stepped up its bid to remain on the F1 calendar. Last year, amid growing losses, the circuit-owning British...

2018 F11 day ago

Berger tips Mick Schumacher for Ferrari seat

21SharesF1 legend Gerhard Berger thinks Michael Schumacher’s son is on the road to a career at Ferrari. Currently, rumours are...

2018 F11 day ago

Vettel no fan of electric cars

21SharesSebastian Vettel says he is no fan of the trend towards electrically powered cars. The new Formula E season has...

2018 F11 day ago

Canada GP not in danger – promoter

21SharesThe future of the Canadian grand prix is not in danger. That is the view of Montreal race promoter Francois...

2018 F11 day ago

Team incidents hurt Ferrari in 2018 – boss

21SharesMaurizio Arrivabene thinks a series of incidents hurt Ferrari’s charge for the 2018 title. Some think the biggest problem with...

2018 F14 days ago

Ferrari to reveal 2019 car on February 15

21SharesFerrari will reveal its 2019 challenger on February 15, team boss Maurizio Arrivabene said on Thursday. The Italian attended an...

2018 F15 days ago

F1 teams worried about Brexit crisis

21SharesF1 teams admit they are worried about the Brexit crisis that is occurring in Britain. After British people voted in...




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media