Formula 1 boss Bernie Ecclestone says that no concerns over security ahead of the Bahrain GP Early this weekend media reports that again more pressure over the Bahrain Grand Prix, Formula 1 event return to the country April last week.
The 2011 race was cancelled after the authorities launched a punishing crackdown on dissent and hundreds of citizens were tried on anti-state charges.
Last year, Sauber reported that a number of their personnel had been confronted by masked protesters. A car used by Force India mechanics was targeted by a petrol bomb. Luckily, nobody was hurt in the incident.
After the Chinese Grand Prix in Shanghai on April 14, the multi-million pound race will descend upon Bahrain again on April 21.
“I haven’t had any negative reports from anybody there,” the 82-year-old British billionaire told Reuters as he prepared for a double header with the Chinese Grand Prix on April 14 and Bahrain on the 21st.
“Somebody who actually lives there came to see me yesterday and said everything’s very normal.
“I think they (both sides) are talking now anyway… so I don’t think they’ll upset the talks by making protests,” added Ecclestone. “It didn’t help them last year, so if they had any brains they’d just get on with their talks.”
“No concerns, none at all,” he added.
Ecclestone said he would again be in Bahrain for the grand prix, fourth round of the 19 race season, and praised local organizers for their efforts.
He assured them that Bahrain, the first country to host a grand prix in the Middle East and on the calendar since 2004, had a long-term future in F1 despite Abu Dhabi’s glittering floodlit race now being a much more popular fixture with both teams and sponsors.
“Yes, yes, absolutely,” he said. “Everything that is there is as far as we are concerned good. They do a very, very good job of the race; the whole support from the top is good. No problems.”