Connect with us

Latest F1 News

Ecclestone, FIA, circuit say Bahrain GP still on

Published

on

(GMM) Bernie Ecclestone has played down the latest reports about violence in Bahrain, insisting April’s 2012 race is still scheduled to go ahead.

On the one-year anniversary of the ‘Day of Rage’ unrest, international media agencies claimed violent clashes took place, with youths throwing rocks and petrol bombs and police hitting back with tear-gas, rubber bullets and stun grenades.

“The only message I got was that there were some kids in trouble with the police,” F1 chief executive Ecclestone told the Telegraph.

“We are planning to go. People there seem confident that a race two months away will be alright.”

At the Jerez test last week, it was suggested teams were expressing concerns about Bahrain.

But Ecclestone insists: “The teams are not the slightest bit concerned. They seem happy that things will go ahead without problems.

“Last year was a more clear-cut decision not to go but things have changed a lot since then.”

In recent days, however, F1 has been the subject of a high profile row about the event, with influential figures and political parties publicly debating whether the sport is right or wrong to return to Bahrain.

“We’ve always been non-political,” said Ecclestone, 81. “Any decision will be made on grounds of safety.”

But an FIA spokesman said the “staging of a grand prix would be beneficial in bridging some of the difficulties Bahrain is experiencing”.

And a spokesman for the Bahrain International Circuit told CNN: “We are entirely confident that the race can be and will be an excellent event.

“The FIA has said that there is no reason why the grand prix should not go ahead.”

The unnamed spokesman also compared Bahrain’s problems of the last twelve months with London’s riots last August.

“There’s no doubt that (in Bahrain) there have been some small riots, nothing like on the scale that we saw in London,” he insisted.

“When it comes to being in and around the track, the drivers and the teams will be extremely safe. Absolutely, totally confident about that.”

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2018 F121 hours ago

Force India to launch 2019 car in Canada

Force India has become the second F1 team to announce a reveal date for its 2019 car. Ferrari boss Maurizio...

2018 F121 hours ago

“it was a difficult experience, but it made me stronger,”- Sirotkin

Sergey Sirotkin says his aim is to return to formula one in 2020. The Russian has been replaced at Williams...

2018 F121 hours ago

McLaren success is ‘long term’ aim – Sainz

Carlos Sainz says McLaren is aiming for success only in the medium to long term. The Spaniard says he is...

2018 F122 hours ago

Silverstone proposes new F1 deal for 2020

Silverstone has stepped up its bid to remain on the F1 calendar. Last year, amid growing losses, the circuit-owning British...

2018 F12 days ago

Berger tips Mick Schumacher for Ferrari seat

F1 legend Gerhard Berger thinks Michael Schumacher’s son is on the road to a career at Ferrari. Currently, rumours are...

2018 F12 days ago

Vettel no fan of electric cars

Sebastian Vettel says he is no fan of the trend towards electrically powered cars. The new Formula E season has...

2018 F12 days ago

Canada GP not in danger – promoter

The future of the Canadian grand prix is not in danger. That is the view of Montreal race promoter Francois...

2018 F12 days ago

Team incidents hurt Ferrari in 2018 – boss

Maurizio Arrivabene thinks a series of incidents hurt Ferrari’s charge for the 2018 title. Some think the biggest problem with...

2018 F15 days ago

Ferrari to reveal 2019 car on February 15

Ferrari will reveal its 2019 challenger on February 15, team boss Maurizio Arrivabene said on Thursday. The Italian attended an...

2018 F16 days ago

F1 teams worried about Brexit crisis

F1 teams admit they are worried about the Brexit crisis that is occurring in Britain. After British people voted in...




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media