Connect with us

Uncategorized

We want to be top – McLaren

Published

on

Aug.02 – The McLaren duo will continue fighting each other on the track this season, even though it could hamper their respective championship chances. Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton battle was a best part of the race at the Hungaroring Grand Prix, with the pair passing each other for the lead four times within five laps.

“We are not about to compromise our values and what we believe with our racing at McLaren,” Vodafone McLaren Mercedes managing director Jonathan Neale told guardian.co.uk.

“When we were in Canada we let them get on with it and they had a coming together. It’s risky but when you have back-to-back world champs you have to respect they are the ones there in the moment.”

Jenson Button had reveled, not only in the racing but in the confidence specifically that going up against his team-mate gave him on track. “You don’t think about [fighting each other], you are thinking about position,” he said. “We had a good little scrap and were wheel-to-wheel through turn one, which was close. If it had been with other drivers, I would have been off the circuit.”

McLaren duo ready to catch. Vettel, who is 88 points ahead of Hamilton in third and 100 ahead of the fifth-placed Button.

“We have won world championships so we are not interested in being second. We want to be top. I wouldn’t race this season just wanting to beat my team-mate – I am not aiming for Lewis, I am aiming for the top.” It is, as Neale noted, part of McLaren’s historical ethos to let their drivers race. “Everybody has to run their team by their rules but if you look back through our history, the way that we go about racing is having good drivers, give them a good car and let them do what they do best.” But he admitted it had been “stressful on the pit wall – the mechanics in the garage were looking at it and wincing”.

Neale said: “Sometimes we get it wrong. But when you have a race like that, you know you are right. They were banging wheels from the first lap.”

His position is admirable but with Red Bull having already proved that they will employ team orders, it makes the task of catching Vettel in the remaining nine races that much harder. Jenson Button is not giving up. “If you look at the table you say no chance, but if I take it race by race, like I did here, go out and have fun and try to win, it can happen. We want to see a lot more 25s [points for the winner].”

Formula 1 new broadcasting deal with Sky/BBC TV remained unclear as the teams headed off for their summer break. The McLaren team principal, Martin Whitmarsh, admitted that there was “some concern about the free‑to‑air nature of it”. He said: “We received some assurances [on Friday] when we saw Bernie [Ecclestone]. I hope that that’s what happens.”

However, when told that Ecclestone had subsequently said theBBC would show only highlights of races it will not air live, rather than deferred coverage, he admitted the specificsof the deal appeared to still be in Ecclestone’s hands. “What I said was wholly accurate [on Friday] in that this is what we were told and we asked several times. But we’ll have to get the full story.”

Queried about whether there was concern over the potential decrease in revenue from sponsors, Whitmarsh insisted it did not apply to McLaren’s partners. “I don’t think there is any here. I would think that’s just speculation. I think we have got to do a careful analysis of it, the view [on Friday] was that viewership would increase as a consequence of the amount of time and coverage that Formula One will present.”

The teams are also pressing for a rethink on the 2012 provisional calendar that was presented to them by Ecclestone at the weekend. Of particular concern seems to be a final section that sees seven races in 10 weekends across four continents. The Renault team principal, Eric Boullier, said: “We plan actually to ask for a rethink for the logistics. We have a thought between us already and we would like to suggest a couple of ideas.”

Source: guardian.co.uk


All material and photos are copyrighted material and owned by their respective owners. Use or depiction of images or trademarks throughout this website is for illustrative and editorial purposes only.Images come courtesy of; ferrari.com, mclaren.com, forceindiaf1.com, redbull.com, mercedesgp.com, renaultf1.com, toyota, bmw-sauber, williamsf1, lotus, virgin, Daylife.com, getty Images/LAT and AP Photos.


http://www.formula1onlive.com/feeds/posts/default?alt=rss
Comments

Latest F1 News

Latest F1 News

2019 F11 month ago

Hamilton and Mercedes clearly coming under pressure – J Verstappen

Max Verstappen’s father thinks the on-form Red Bull driver has rattled reigning five time world champion and 2019 championship leader...

2019 F11 month ago

20hp engine boost for Ferrari after summer break

Toto Wolff is forecasting a “very strong” performance by Ferrari after the summer break. Marca sports newspaper reports that the...

2019 F11 month ago

I’m not ready for Formula E – Hulkenberg

Nico Hulkenberg says he is “not ready” to contemplate a switch to Formula E. It is strongly rumoured that if...

2019 F11 month ago

BREAKING: Albon to replace Gasly from Belgian GP

Toro Rosso’s speedy Alexander Albon will replace Pierre Gasly at Red Bull from the next race in Belgium, the F1...

2019 F11 month ago

Alonso says it is not true liking Vettel

Fernando Alonso says it is not true that he doesn’t like Sebastian Vettel. In Hungary, amid rumours the retired double...

2019 F11 month ago

F1 teams balk at expensive new regulations

F1 teams are pushing back on proposed new regulations — for reasons of cost. One idea that could be scrapped...

2019 F11 month ago

McLaren targets Sainz to beat Gasly in 2019

McLaren is targeting a coveted sixth place in the 2019 drivers’ world championship with Carlos Sainz. With Mercedes, Ferrari and...

2019 F11 month ago

F1 broadcaster fails to show Sainz in Hungary

Carlos Sainz was “the invisible man” during the recent Hungarian GP. In fact, well-known Spanish journalist Antonio Lobato claims that...

2019 F11 month ago

Marko confirms Verstappen staying at Red Bull-Honda for F1 2020

Red Bull motorsport head Dr Helmut Marko has confirmed that Max Verstappen is definitely staying at Red Bull-Honda in 2020....

2019 F11 month ago

Me and Russel are eating two different dishes – Kubica

Robert Kubica is yet to benefit from what seems to have been a clear step forward for Williams and George...

Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media