Connect with us

Uncategorized

Jenson Button had to threaten legal action to catch ’09 trophy

Published

on

Bookmark and Share

Defending Formula 1 World Champion Jenson Button reportedly had to resort to legal action before his previous employers Brawn GP agreed to give him the prize that had been agreed should he clinch the 2010 drivers’ cap

Jenson Button came close up to taking Brawn GP to court; it has been stalemated, after his former employers attempted to go back on a deal struck early on last year concerning the British star’s prize should he win the F1 2010 World Championship. Prior to the beginning of the campaign and in the wake of the sudden and unexpected withdrawal of parent company Honda that left the Brackley-based outfit fighting for its very survival, Button agreed to a significant cut in salary in order to help keep the team afloat.

In exchange for that, and unbeknown to the outside world until now, a clause was inserted into his contract, to the effect that ‘in the event that the driver wins the championship at any time during the term, the company shall transfer…ownership of one chassis of the type driven by the driver during that winning season’.

However, according to the Mail on Sunday, after the 30-year-old fulfilled his part of the bargain in clinching the coveted drivers’ crown, Brawn GP subsequently refused to keep its side, with an e-mail to Button in January of this year claiming that ‘we have no spare 2009 chassis, as limited quantities were manufactured for the 2009 season for cost reasons’.

It is understood that six BGP 001 chassis’ were built last year, but Button – who switched teams from what is now Mercedes Grand Prix to McLaren-Mercedes over the winter – was initially only offered a replica of his title-winning car, a poor substitute that the Frome-born ace argued would lack the ‘special and unique’ value of owning one of the cars he raced to the laurels.

However, following the filing of legal action by Button’s company JB Next BV in London’s High Court in April, Mercedes has belatedly agreed to honour its initial promise and give Button one of the cars he drove last year, with a spokesman for the nine-time grand prix-winner revealing that ‘we have arrived at an amicable resolution, so there will no longer be any court action over this’.

source:crash.net

Bookmark and Share
http://www.formula1onlive.com/feeds/posts/default?alt=rss
Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2018 F11 month ago

Lauda announces 2019 grand prix return

Niki Lauda has allayed fears that he might not return to his post at the grands prix with Mercedes. In...

2018 F11 month ago

Sauber still building staff numbers – Vasseur

Sauber is still building up its staff numbers, boss Frederic Vasseur has revealed. The Swiss team almost collapsed two years...

2018 F11 month ago

Red Bull ‘will look to Verstappen’ in 2019 – Horner

Max Verstappen will have a more significant role at Red Bull next year. That is the view of Christian Horner,...

2018 F11 month ago

London could join Silverstone in F1 – Brawn

Ross Brawn says a grand prix in the centre of London would be “unacceptable”. But the F1 sporting chief thinks...

2018 F11 month ago

Kubica not offended by Vettel comments

Robert Kubica says he is not offended by comments made by quadruple world champion Sebastian Vettel. Ferrari’s Vettel said that...

2018 F11 month ago

Verstappen happy with Ricciardo replacement

Max Verstappen says he is happy with Red Bull’s pick for his new teammate. The Dutchman says he cannot understand...

2018 F11 month ago

Renault to keep working over Christmas

Staff at Renault’s works F1 team will work throughout the Christmas and New Year period. That is the news from...

2018 F11 month ago

Force India to launch 2019 car in Canada

Force India has become the second F1 team to announce a reveal date for its 2019 car. Ferrari boss Maurizio...

2018 F11 month ago

“it was a difficult experience, but it made me stronger,”- Sirotkin

Sergey Sirotkin says his aim is to return to formula one in 2020. The Russian has been replaced at Williams...

2018 F11 month ago

McLaren success is ‘long term’ aim – Sainz

Carlos Sainz says McLaren is aiming for success only in the medium to long term. The Spaniard says he is...




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media