Connect with us

Uncategorized

Raikkonen rejects F1 for rallying

Published

on


The 30-year-old Finn had been trying to do a deal with McLaren but they would not offer him the salary he wanted, his manager David Robertson told BBC Sport.

“They couldn’t afford him,” Robertson said. “It wasn’t in his interests to race for what they were offering so he’s going to go rallying instead.”

Robertson said he believed McLaren had already signed Jenson Button.

Raikkonen is trying to find a drive in the world rally championship, Roberston said, although nothing had yet been sorted out.
 
He made his world rally debut on his home Rally Finland last August, setting competitive times before crashing out.

“He wants to be back in F1 in 2011 but with all the money he has earned he doesn’t want to go in a medium-type team for money,” Robertson added.

“The same criteria would apply as this year – he’d only go where he feels he has a chance of the world championship.”

Asked whether Button’s appearance on the market had wrecked Raikkonen’s hopes at McLaren, Roberston said: “If they hadn’t gone for Jenson, they’d have gone for someone else.”

Raikkonen, who won the world title for Ferrari in 2007, was forced out of Ferrari at the end of this season to make way for Fernando Alonso, despite already having a year left on his contract.

Raikkonen is being paid a sum believed to be in the region of 20m euros not to race for Ferrari in 2010, but still wanted to be paid what he felt was a fair sum to drive for another team.

Robertson would not confirm the Ferrari payment, describing the arrangements with Ferrari as “confidential”.
 

I would put him in the top 20 of the greatest drivers of all time, you will be missed
kimiraikkonen

Although he won the Belgian Grand Prix, Raikkonen’s final season with Ferrari was a disappointment, with car that was never the fastest in the field.

He said: “Kimi wanted a winning car, only McLaren could supply that and he only had them in his sights. He didn’t want another year like this one.

“But they had their issues with Mercedes, Santander and the FIA and from a financial point of view they are not the powerhouse they were. They couldn’t afford him.”

Mercedes announced on Tuesday that they were selling back their 40% shareholding in McLaren and buying the Brawn team instead.

Spanish bank Santander will sponsor Ferrari next year, although they will still retain a smaller presence with McLaren.

And governing body the FIA in 2007 fined McLaren $100m (then £49m) after they were found guilty of possessing confidential Ferrari technical information.

Asked how Raikkonen felt about the temporary end of an F1 career that started in 2001 and in which he won 18 grands prix, Robertson said: “He’s one of those guys who moves on quickly – he just said ‘now we concentrate on rallying’.

A McLaren spokesman refused to comment on Robertson’s remarks. 

Source:news.bbc.co.uk

http://www.formula1onlive.com/feeds/posts/default?alt=rss
Comments

Latest F1 News

Latest F1 News

2019 F12 weeks ago

I’m not ready for Formula E – Hulkenberg

Nico Hulkenberg says he is “not ready” to contemplate a switch to Formula E. It is strongly rumoured that if...

2019 F12 weeks ago

BREAKING: Albon to replace Gasly from Belgian GP

Toro Rosso’s speedy Alexander Albon will replace Pierre Gasly at Red Bull from the next race in Belgium, the F1...

2019 F12 weeks ago

Alonso says it is not true liking Vettel

Fernando Alonso says it is not true that he doesn’t like Sebastian Vettel. In Hungary, amid rumours the retired double...

2019 F12 weeks ago

F1 teams balk at expensive new regulations

F1 teams are pushing back on proposed new regulations — for reasons of cost. One idea that could be scrapped...

2019 F13 weeks ago

McLaren targets Sainz to beat Gasly in 2019

McLaren is targeting a coveted sixth place in the 2019 drivers’ world championship with Carlos Sainz. With Mercedes, Ferrari and...

2019 F13 weeks ago

F1 broadcaster fails to show Sainz in Hungary

Carlos Sainz was “the invisible man” during the recent Hungarian GP. In fact, well-known Spanish journalist Antonio Lobato claims that...

2019 F13 weeks ago

Marko confirms Verstappen staying at Red Bull-Honda for F1 2020

Red Bull motorsport head Dr Helmut Marko has confirmed that Max Verstappen is definitely staying at Red Bull-Honda in 2020....

2019 F13 weeks ago

Me and Russel are eating two different dishes – Kubica

Robert Kubica is yet to benefit from what seems to have been a clear step forward for Williams and George...

2019 F13 weeks ago

I will not stop doing dangerous activities – Raikkonen

Kimi Raikkonen says he will not stop doing dangerous activities just because he is in Formula 1. Well known for...

2019 F13 weeks ago

Two competitive cars ‘essential’ to Red Bull success – Horner

  Christian Horner says it is “essential” that Red Bull has two cars near the front of the F1 field....

Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media