Connect with us

Uncategorized

Button signs three year deal with McLaren

Published

on

Jenson Button is expected to be announced as a McLaren driver later today after signing a three-year deal to partner Lewis Hamilton at the team.

The reigning world champion is believed to have accepted a move to the Woking team after failing to agree terms to remain at the former Brawn GP team, which is being rebranded Mercedes Grand Prix next season.

Button’s move will ensure that McLaren will carry the prestigious number one for a second successive season.

Mercedes team principal Ross Brawn told The Independent newspaper today that remaining with the team that took him to the 2009 world championship would be “logical”, but Button’s management is understood to regard a move to McLaren as the best long-term option.

“His best future is with our team, where he has a good group around him, and there’s a lot to be said for that,” said Brawn. “The logical thing would be for him to stay with us, but of course logic doesn’t always prevail.”

McLaren had been close to signing Kimi Raikkonen, but negotiations broke down last week over contract terms, with the salary offered some way off what the Finn’s management was seeking.

It is understood that disagreement over ancillary contractual factors such as sponsor appearances and the freedom to contest rallies also played a role.

Raikkonen is now set to take a sabbatical from Formula 1, with a World Rally Championship campaign a possibility prior to a possible return in 2011.

http://www.formula1onlive.com/feeds/posts/default?alt=rss
Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2019 F12 hours ago

Alonso rejected move to ‘buy’ Indy 500 seat

Fernando Alonso rejected McLaren boss Zak Brown’s desire to “buy” a seat for the Spaniard in Sunday’s Indy 500. The...

2019 F12 hours ago

Dutch GP to be definite sell-out

The Dutch GP next year will definitely be a sell-out. That is not just a guess based on Max Verstappen’s...

2019 F12 hours ago

Clear that Lauda would die – Doctor

Niki Lauda’s surgeon says it has been “clear for some time” that the F1 legend would not recover. Lauda, who...

2019 F121 hours ago

Tilke involved in Rio’s F1 project for 2021

Hermann Tilke, the renowned F1 circuit architect, is in charge of the layout for the new project in Rio de...

2019 F121 hours ago

Zandvoort’s return to Formula 1 is great for the sport- Jean Todt

Jean Todt says Zandvoort’s return to Formula 1 next year is “great” for the sport. The Netherlands’ beachside circuit last...

2019 F11 day ago

F1 legend Niki Lauda dies

Formula One legend Niki Lauda has died. On Monday, we reported that Mercedes’ 70-year-old team chairman had left rehabilitation after...

2019 F12 days ago

Another health setback for Lauda

Niki Lauda’s push to return to good health and the F1 paddock has suffered yet another setback. Osterreich newspaper reports...

2019 F12 days ago

Steiner predicts compromise rules for 2021

Two F1 experts are worried the sport is about to mess up the big opportunity of the new Concorde Agreement...

2019 F12 days ago

Mercedes more superior than ever – Marko

Mercedes has never been more dominant in F1. That is the view of Red Bull team official Dr Helmut Marko,...

2019 F12 days ago

Kubica admits he wants better results

Robert Kubica insists he does not regret returning to Formula 1. That is despite the fact that, just five races...




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media