Sainz says that Romain Grosjean was his blind spot, when they are fight for position in Montreal, as the Toro Rosso ace clipped wheels with the Haas F1 driver and was sent into a spin. The Spaniard collected the unlucky Massa to send both cars out on the spot.
Following the incident Sainz received a post-race three-place grid penalty for Baku but Massa feels for the scale of the accident the Toro Rosso driver’s punishment didn’t fit the crime.
“It looked quite dangerous when it happened. I was unlucky to be out of the race that way,” Massa said.
“I spoke to Carlos straight after as I had no idea what happened and he said he was completely sideways before the gravel because somebody had touched him already. That’s what he told me.
“Then when I saw it after I saw that he started it which is a shame. I don’t think it is so different what he did to what Grosjean did and Carlos only lost three places on the start [for Azerbaijan GP].”
Speaking after Friday practice in Baku, Sainz said he was surprised the accident was still being discussed and feels it is unsuitable for drivers to call for one another to be banned.
“I went to the stewards, commented with Romain, with Haas,” he said when asked by Autosport about the incident and the comments that have been made since. They all clearly saw what happened, that Romain was in my blind spot.
“Since then I apologised, and people tend to keep going on and on about it. In Canada on Sunday I was watching onboards of Baku, and people on Friday in Baku are still thinking about Sunday in Canada, and asking for race bans, which I don’t find very gentleman or polite.
“Especially when the stewards saw it and gave me a three-place grid penalty.”