Triple-time F1 world champion Lewis Hamilton is now among the highest paid athletes in the world according to Forbes’ annual rich list.
Lewis Hamilton won 10 – F1 races during 2016, but was narrowly edged out for the World Championship by teammate Nico Rosberg.
The British racecar driver is in the middle of a three-year contract extension that kicked off with the 2016 season. It is likely to pay out more than $120 million, including bonuses.
Hamilton won his third F1 title in 2015. He is the most marketable drivers in the sport, boasting endorsement deals with IWC, Monster Energy, L’Oreal, Bose, Puma, MV Agusta Motorcycles and Bombardier Recreational Products.
2017 F1 Drivers Salary List – from various source
1. Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes): $46 million plus bonuses
2. Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari): $38.5 million plus bonuses
3. Fernando Alonso (McLaren): $36 million including bonuses
4. Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes): $8.5 million including bonuses
5. Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari): $7 million plus bonuses
6. Daniel Ricciardo (Red Bull): $6.5 million plus bonuses
7. Felipe Massa (Williams): $5 million
8. Nico Hulkenberg (Renault F1): $3 million
9. Max Verstappen (Red Bull): $3 million plus bonuses
10. Sergio Perez (Force India): $2.5 million
11. Romain Grosjean (Haas F1): $1.5 million
12. Kevin Magnussen (Haas F1): $1 million
13. Jolyon Palmer (Renault F1): $1 million
14. Daniil Kvyat (Toro Rosso): $750,000
15. Carlos Sainz (Toro Rosso): $750,000
16. Stoffel Vandoorne (McLaren): $300,000 plus bonuses
17. Marcus Ericsson (Sauber): $285,000
18. Esteban Ocon (Force India): $185,000
19. Pascal Wehrlein (Sauber): $150,000
20. Lance Stroll (Williams): Unknown