The double world champion will instead travel to the US to race for Andretti Autosport in the Indy 500 where Alonso will drive a McLaren-branded, Honda-powered car.
According to the BBC, F1 veteran Button will replace the Spaniard in a one-off appearance for McLaren after apparently retiring last year.
Button tweeted a jokey reaction on Wednesday following the news of Alonso’s Indy 500 programme was announced, asking: “Why do I have so many missed calls?”
McLaren team boss Zak Brown said yesterday that a number of conversations had already been had about finding a replacement.
“Fernando’s replacement driver is not in place, those conversations are ongoing. Brown said.
“We have a few different options and we will state who that is when we know.”