Connect with us

F1 top news

Vettel slams ‘s***’ new proposed qualifying format

Published

on

Vettel slams ‘s***’ new proposed qualifying format

Vettel slams ‘s***’ new proposed qualifying format

Introduced last month in opening grand prix at Australia, the new qualifying format has drawn criticism from fans, teams and drivers.

Formula 1 team heads have been told to mull over an all-new ‘aggregate’ format for qualifying, following reverting to the 2015 F1 system was ruled out by the sport’s authorities on Sunday.

Four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel has given unfavourable expression to the new proposed aggregate qualifying system, labelling the idea “s***”.

FIA president Jean Todt said as he emerged from Sunday’s meeting in Bahrain that the F1 world will need to be “patient” until the details emerge next week.

But authoritative sources, including Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport and British television Sky, report that the new system will involve drivers’ 2 best times being aggregated as they progress through the three segments of qualifying.

Displeased Vettel is already not a fan, telling Sky Sports News HQ: “It’s time to go to the circus.

“It’s a good idea if you want random things to happen, but Formula 1 should be about racing. It’s a s*** idea.”

Red Bull ace Daniel Ricciardo echoed his negative expression –“Qualifying is about that one perfect lap,” he said.

“To have an aggregate, it starts to sound more like some form of endurance racing. I wouldn’t be too keen on that.”

McLaren-Honda’s Jenson Button says “anything is better” than Formula 1’s current elimination-style qualifying format, as a new aggregate system is investigated.

“If it’s an aggregate system, I’ll give it a go,” Button told Sky Sports.

“That’s all you can say. It’s better than this one. Anything is better than this one.

“Drivers driving around with one eye closed would be better than this one.

“I look forward to change, and that’s what’s hopefully coming.”

Asked if aggregate times are a kick in the stomach for F1 purists, Mercedes boss Toto Wolff said: “I think the kick is even lower than that.”

Williams, meanwhile, said of the newly-proposed idea: “It is quite a well thought through proposal that the FIA have come up with and hopefully it will be a solution that will work for everybody, and that will be be easy for our fans to understand”.

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2018 F125 mins ago

We are not negotiating with Kubica – Haas F1

1ShareGunther Steiner has rejected speculation Haas might sign up Robert Kubica for 2019. Pole Kubica is the reserve driver at...

2018 F11 hour ago

The F1 Silly Season: Who will be driving where for 2019 F1?

4SharesWith the German Grand Prix spotted the midway point in the 2018 Formula 1 Season, it now feels like the...

2018 F11 day ago

F1 should be a dictatorship – Berger

11SharesFormula one needs to return to its days as a dictatorship. That is the view of Gerhard Berger, the F1...

2018 F11 day ago

We have great confidence in Honda – Red Bull

1ShareChristian Horner remains confident Honda is the right move for Red Bull. The Red Bull boss said that at Silverstone...

2018 F11 day ago

F1 steward Mika Salo admits Ferrari penalties controversy

10SharesF1 steward Mika Salo has acknowledged the controversy over penalties given to Ferrari drivers in recent races. After Sebastian got...

2018 F11 day ago

McLaren, Williams, admit need for change

68SharesAn anonymous engineer says struggling once-great F1 teams Williams and McLaren need to make sweeping changes. Both British teams have...

2018 F12 days ago

Hamilton is stronger than Vettel – Briatore

255SharesFlavio Briatore thinks Mercedes is still the favourite for the 2018 world championship. Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel has taken an 8...

2018 F12 days ago

Sirotkin reveals his biggest problem with Williams’ 2018 car

2SharesSergey Sirotkin has given more details about his biggest problem with Williams’ 2018 car. While the car is obviously uncompetitive,...

2018 F12 days ago

F1 eyes 20-year deal for Miami Grand Prix

1ShareYet another meeting could finally mean the green light for a grand prix in Miami. We have reported that Liberty...

2018 F13 days ago

Raikkonen could return to Sauber F1 for 2019

378SharesThe signs are growing ever stronger that Ferrari will have a new driver in 2019. Kimi Raikkonen admits that it...




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media