Fernando Alonso, double-time F1 world champion, says that he will race for McLaren-Honda in the 2016 Formula 1 season and he has make clear the situation with McLaren chairman Ron Dennis after the hints he could take a sabbatical.
Dennis, the McLaren supremo, having missed the past couple of races – he appeared in season finale at Abu Dhabi and told reporters that a sabbatical for Alonso is possible.
“He will definitely finish his career in McLaren; I have an open mind to anything. Some of the ideas have involved those sorts of considerations — sabbatical years,” Dennis said.
The Spaniard speaking from Wembley Stadium on Friday – When the media Asked if he will be in Melbourne for the season-opening Australian Grand Prix, Alonso, 34, said: “Yes.
“I talked to Ron on Friday, I told him what had been published. He said I didn’t mean that and tomorrow I will clarify it. On Saturday he clarified but no one copied that.
“I said the opposite on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and I’m sure in January and February I will keep answering the same questions about my future.”
When asked if he would call time on his F1 career at that point, especially given McLaren’s recent struggles, Alonso said: “We have to be open to any possibility.
“Right now, it is too long ahead to think. Let’s see what happens in one and a half years and what the situation is, what are the targets we have met and we hadn’t met and what the motivations are to keep going on in Formula 1.”