Connect with us

2016 F1

Red Bull secures 2016 F1 engine deal

Published

on

Red Bull secures 2016 F1 engine deal

Red Bull secures 2016 F1 engine deal

Christian Horner on Friday announced that Red Bull finally has an engine deal in place for 2016.

He did not confirm speculation the former world champions are simply staying with Renault, but driver Daniel Ricciardo said on Thursday that “Pretty much everyone (else) has turned us down”.

Red Bull had said the arrival of an independent engine supplier with new parallel regulations was a condition of staying in F1 beyond this weekend, but those plans were put on the back-burner by the F1 Commission last week.

“The (existing) manufacturers have until January 15 to tackle the current problems” with the controversial power unit rules, team boss Horner was quoted as saying in Abu Dhabi.

“If it doesn’t happen, I believe the independent engine will be back in play. So we are eagerly waiting to see what happens on January 15,” he added.

Until then, Red Bull appears destined to stay with Renault, perhaps with blank engine branding next year and the involvement of Mario Illien.

“Next year will be a transition year,” Horner confirmed. “We have an agreement on the use of an engine for next year. The announcement will hopefully take place in the coming days.

“Ironically, the path of development will be one that we wanted to have 12 months ago,” he added.

Loading...

Comments

Latest F1 News

Latest F1 News

2019 F11 week ago

I’m not ready for Formula E – Hulkenberg

Nico Hulkenberg says he is “not ready” to contemplate a switch to Formula E. It is strongly rumoured that if...

2019 F11 week ago

BREAKING: Albon to replace Gasly from Belgian GP

Toro Rosso’s speedy Alexander Albon will replace Pierre Gasly at Red Bull from the next race in Belgium, the F1...

2019 F12 weeks ago

Alonso says it is not true liking Vettel

Fernando Alonso says it is not true that he doesn’t like Sebastian Vettel. In Hungary, amid rumours the retired double...

2019 F12 weeks ago

F1 teams balk at expensive new regulations

F1 teams are pushing back on proposed new regulations — for reasons of cost. One idea that could be scrapped...

2019 F12 weeks ago

McLaren targets Sainz to beat Gasly in 2019

McLaren is targeting a coveted sixth place in the 2019 drivers’ world championship with Carlos Sainz. With Mercedes, Ferrari and...

2019 F12 weeks ago

F1 broadcaster fails to show Sainz in Hungary

Carlos Sainz was “the invisible man” during the recent Hungarian GP. In fact, well-known Spanish journalist Antonio Lobato claims that...

2019 F12 weeks ago

Marko confirms Verstappen staying at Red Bull-Honda for F1 2020

Red Bull motorsport head Dr Helmut Marko has confirmed that Max Verstappen is definitely staying at Red Bull-Honda in 2020....

2019 F12 weeks ago

Me and Russel are eating two different dishes – Kubica

Robert Kubica is yet to benefit from what seems to have been a clear step forward for Williams and George...

2019 F12 weeks ago

I will not stop doing dangerous activities – Raikkonen

Kimi Raikkonen says he will not stop doing dangerous activities just because he is in Formula 1. Well known for...

2019 F12 weeks ago

Two competitive cars ‘essential’ to Red Bull success – Horner

  Christian Horner says it is “essential” that Red Bull has two cars near the front of the F1 field....

Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media