2015 F1

Wolff not denying Merc TV snub by Ecclestone


Wolff not denying Merc TV snub by Ecclestone

Wolff not denying Merc TV snub by Ecclestone

Rumours that Bernie Ecclestone ordered a ‘TV blackout’ of a team have resurfaced after the Japanese grand prix.

The first time rumours of this nature began to swirl was in 2012, when spectators noticed that Force India was ignored by the FOM-controlled ‘world feed’ during qualifying for the controversial grand prix in Bahrain.

Force India had sat out a practice session over security fears in the troubled island Kingdom, but F1 supremo Ecclestone denied he deliberately snubbed the team as retribution.

“Not at all,” he said at the time.

The same sort of rumours then returned earlier this year, when Ferrari was reportedly having an off-track dispute with Ferrari.

One Italian commentator told viewers to “complain to FOM” because images of the red cars were rarely broadcasted.

“Certainly on my part there was nothing,” Ecclestone said, once again denying the claims.

And the latest rumours began swirling during and after Sunday’s Japanese grand prix, when viewers of the world feed noticed that as Mercedes raced to a one-two, the dominant Silver Arrows were conspicuously absent from the television.

Sky, the German television broadcaster, even apologised for the apparent snub.

The speculation suggests Ecclestone may be punishing or sending a message to the German giant, having refused to supply engines to Red Bull next year.

“I don’t know. I don’t know,” Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff told the British broadcaster Sky afterwards, admitting he also noticed that Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg’s cars were rarely seen on the TV during the race. (GMM)

Loading...

8 Comments
  • Michael

    It was a disgrace and don’t tell me there wasn’t a hidden agenda behind this Ecclestone. Didn’t even show the fight between Vettel and Rosberg when they were fighting for second place and the gap was within 2 seconds. The viewers had to rely upon feedback from the commentators for this.

  • The cameras are only showing where the excitement is. Lewis is so far in front that no one cares unless he has a problem or an accident. They did the same to Vettel 2 years ago, we only saw his car really at the start of the race and the end because who wants to see a car drive around in circles by itself?

  • dinoart

    Solution for this is simple. Do not run away after start. Stay close to second and third. Even leave a position. No TV can miss a fight on track. Then kill the opponent in last 10 laps. You will be all time on TV. Beat Bernie.

  • maserati123

    SHOWING M-BENZ WILL CAUSE PEOPLE TO WALK AWAY,THERE IS MORE FUN AND PASSING NEAR THE BACK…DON’T SEE A PROBLEM WITH THIS.

  • IceMan28

    ” The same sort of rumours then returned earlier this year, when Ferrari was reportedly having an off-track dispute with Ferrari.”, Ferrari were having an off track dispute by themselves???

  • mom93rsa

    I really enjoyed the fights further back in the field. Having to watch the two at the front circulate to a win would have prompted me to tune to something else.

  • Warham Pendrich

    From my perspective, it’s not in the best interests of F1 to focus on the two silver cars in the front. That’s showing the world a monumental bore-fest.

  • zke007

    Bernie needs to go.
    That or these engine supply need to grow a pair

If you want any editorial or advertisement enquiry, Please send mail to thisisf1site@gmail.com and Info@thisisf1.com


All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media

To Top