The British F1 veteran, Jenson Button remained tight-lipped about his F1 future amid reports he would announce his retirement from the sport in Japan, but has insisted that he is in “good talks” with McLaren-Honda.
The rumor, that Button is close to calling time on his F1 career following a terribly unacceptable season so far in 2015, the Brit is positively hoping that things go better than they did last weekend in Singapore where he was forced to retire nine laps from the chequered flag with gearbox problems.
Button told reporters on Thursday: “I can’t give you anything else since the last race. There’s no more information to give you, you’ll have to wait a bit longer.
“We’re in good talks – the team and myself. We’re here to concentrate on this weekend, it’s a big weekend for us. We’re hoping for a reasonable result.”
The 2009 world champion, also linked with a move to the famous Le Mans series with a media career, rumored to include the revamped Top Gear, said: “There are so many possibilities about what can happen next year – so many possibilities, but I have got nothing else for you I am sorry to say.
“I do not think any driver has joy when they are not fighting for victories and that is what we are here to do, the challenge of fighting at the front and the possibility of fighting at the front.
“I don’t like finishing 14th. I don’t like finishing 10th. That is not what gives me joy and that is not what excites me.
“But there are so many other things that if they work in your favour, if you see a future, there is the possibility of joy coming back and that is exciting. That is a challenge but after the Singapore Grand Prix I was not joyful.”