F1 top news

‘Impossible to be happy’ at Ferrari says Massa

'Impossible to be happy' at Ferrari says Massa

‘Impossible to be happy’ at Ferrari says Massa

Felipe Massa says he has no regrets about being ousted by Ferrari.

At Maranello, the Brazilian was competitive alongside the great Michael Schumacher and almost won the world championship whilst Kimi Raikkonen’s teammate in 2008.

Some believe it was Massa’s near-fatal crash in 2009 that subsequently hurt his form, but now fully back up to speed with Williams, the 34-year-old has another explanation.

“Let’s just say I did the right thing at the right time,” Massa, referring to his departure after an eight-year Ferrari career in 2013, told Italy’s La Repubblica.

“It was time to change,” he said.

Now, Massa is back on song even with the highly-rated Valtteri Bottas as his teammate, with some believing the diminutive Brazilian’s pace is ultimately the reason Ferrari decided against signing the Finn for 2016.

“My story with Ferrari was beautiful, intense, honest, like the applause I got (on the podium) at Monza showed. But it was time to feel important again.”

Massa says his status at Ferrari slipped suddenly when Fernando Alonso was signed in 2010.

“At first, yes (I was important),” he said. “Then things changed when Alonso came. I looked around and saw that suddenly I had no power over things, over the details. And our sport is made of the details.

“And you can change them only if you have the power. It’s all about power, and I had lost it.

“The most obvious symptom was that I did not feel important anymore,” Massa explained. “It was enough to see it just by making eye-contact with the people around me. It was impossible to be happy.”

Massa said he thinks Ferrari’s approach to the Alonso era was “wrong”, but admits he also questioned himself during that period.

“So many times I thought I should be less kind. Harder and selfish. But then you look at yourself and take stock.

“Many things have happened to me. I was friends with a legend like Schumacher and a golden boy like Bianchi. I went through two or three eras of the sport, I saw injustice and the worst time of my life when I was forced to let my teammate past me, but I also won a lot and above all I enjoyed.

“I fell often, but every time I got up. No, I would not change anything. I have always been myself, Felipe, and if that caused me some difficulty then my strength allowed me to overcome and become a man and a better father,” said Massa.

Asked if he has a message to his harshest former critics, he answered: “No, because before and after they wrote nice things. Consistency is their problem.

“If I was going to say something bad to all those who have changed their mind, I would have no time to drive!” Massa smiled. (GMM)

Facebook Comments
7 Comments

7 Comments

1. Kaush

2015/09/16 at 1:33 am

Look!!! Massa did well but not good enough, Kimi first year world champ..

2. Bematta

2015/09/15 at 9:43 pm

And you are crying and complaining about drivers who are racing in F1 even though you never even driven an f1 car yourself,,, you are actually crying and complaining about people who actually drive F1 cars,, and at the same time you are trying to tell them to stop crying and complaining coz you think you know better than what they do… Whats wrong with you?

Sad it is..
    Change your life and act positive instead. Just try it out.

3. maserati123

2015/09/15 at 6:19 pm

THESE NUTS TALK SO MUCH CRAP WHEN THEY LEAVE THE TEAMS,IT LIKE TALKING BAD ABOUT YOUR X WIFE…THIS IS LIFE, AND AFTER BEING IN F1 FOR SO LONG, HE ALREADY KNOWS THE STORY,SO STOP CRYING AND RACE.YOU GET POINTS FOR RACING, NOT CRYING AND COMPLAINING.SEEMS MOST DRIVERS CRY WHEN THEY LEAVE FERRARI,ALONSO INCLUDED.THEY ALSO CRY WHEN THEY LEAVE THE SPORT LIKE MARK WEBER.

4. MetalQuintessence

2015/09/15 at 4:48 pm

In this case eventho back then I really didn’t like Alonso and the decision to sign him by Ferrari, I think that in this case it was more of a fault of the team as they had the final word and made or were the ones that were supposed to make the decisions. No matter what Alonso’s requests or Santander’s requirements might’ve been, that was just one of many bad decisions made by the Scuderia at that time. Of course it’s much easier to judge than to act, but that is my opinion in this case.

5. She

2015/09/15 at 2:25 pm

Felipe has not really said anything we didn’t know already or suspect. My only wish for him during those lean years was that he had made the move himself. Good on him remaining true to himself.

6. Formula Future

2015/09/15 at 11:20 am

The only one thing to question in this article is the journalist, by choosing “Impossible to be happy at Ferrari”. Is it so really necessary to create fire out of nothing just for spicing up a simple article? Whatever, Massa did right and he is in practice a world champion, contraddicted only by the numbers. respect

7. McSerb

2015/09/15 at 10:22 am

Not bad Felipe, not bad.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV or any other subsidiary associated with the official Formula One governing organizations The website is an unofficial website, all names and logos used here are property of their respective owners, more specially FORMULA 1, FORMULA ONE, F1, GRAND PRIX and logos and the wide Curves logo are trademarks of Formula One Licensing BV, a Formula One Group Company. Use or depiction of images or trademarks throughout this website is for illustrative and editorial purposes only. Official Formula One information can be found at www.formula1.com