Connect with us

Australian GP

Weird situation at Sauber, Van der Garde wins legal fight

Published

on

auto-prix-aus-sauber_mel018
Giedo van der Garde on Wednesday declared himself “happy, fit and ready to drive” this weekend in Melbourne.

A local court has ruled that the Dutchman can take his place at Sauber this year, after the Swiss team signed him but then replaced him with Marcus Ericsson and Felipe Nasr.

The ruling is devastating news for Sauber, after the team almost collapsed late last year and only immediate sponsor payments from Ericsson and Nasr kept it afloat.

In Monday’s hearing, the team’s lawyer said letting van der Garde drive in Melbourne was a safety risk, given that all the testing and car modifications have been made with a different pair of drivers in mind.

But the judge on Wednesday declared that van der Garde’s application had been successful due to the law. Although the racing team says it will appeal the decision.

“We are disappointed with this decision,” said team boss and co-owner Monisha Kaltenborn, “and now need to take time to understand what it means and the impact it will have on the start of our season.

“What we cannot do is jeopardise the safety of our team, or any other driver on the track, by having an unprepared driver in a car that has now been tailored to two other assigned drivers,” she added.

29-year-old van der Garde, however, who is backed by his father-in-law Marcel Boekhoorn’s McGregor fashion brand, said he is ready to step into the C34 straight away.

“I’m looking forward to going back to the team, work hard and do our best for the weekend,” he told reporters in Melbourne on Wednesday.

Van der Garde denied Sauber’s claim that he is “unprepared” for Melbourne.

“No, not at all. I’m the fittest ever,” he insisted. “I’ve been training the last three months flat out.

“I’m looking forward to going back to the team. I had a very good relationship – I still have a very good relationship – with the team.”

He said he doesn’t know if Sauber will vacate Ericsson or Nasr’s seat for him.

“Well, I think it’s up to them what they’re going to do. “It’s not my thing,” said van der Garde.

He said he would be at the Albert Park circuit later on Wednesday.



Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2018 F122 hours ago

Raikkonen could return to Sauber F1 for 2019

342SharesThe signs are growing ever stronger that Ferrari will have a new driver in 2019. Kimi Raikkonen admits that it...

2018 F122 hours ago

Red Bull encourages Honda power to prepare for 2019 F1

1ShareRed Bull is encouraging Toro Rosso and Honda to help the senior energy drink-owned team prepare for 2019. Honda already...

2018 F11 day ago

Hamilton and Vettel Battling For The F1 Title

253SharesThe British Grand Prix at Silverstone is one that Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes have dominated for years and that trend...

2018 F15 days ago

Can Red Bull Challenge Mercedes And Ferrari?

24SharesSo, things didn’t exactly go to plan for Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes at Silverstone as the Brit made a disastrous...

2018 F15 days ago

Liberty working on securing future of British GP – Brawn

5SharesRoss Brawn says Liberty Media is working on securing the future of the British grand prix. Silverstone owner the BRDC...

2018 F15 days ago

Grosjean form ‘unacceptable’ – Haas F1

1ShareGunther Steiner says a “critical moment” could come amid his patience with struggling Haas driver Romain Grosjean. Frenchman Grosjean has...

2018 F15 days ago

No ‘negotiations’ with Raikkonen yet – McLaren

36Shares Zak Brown says McLaren has not yet opened contract talks with former team driver Kimi Raikkonen. It is rumoured in...

2018 F15 days ago

Wolff wants Hamilton beyond 2020

660SharesToto Wolff has revealed he wants to keep Lewis Hamilton at Mercedes even beyond 2020. Although not yet announced, it...

2018 F16 days ago

Renault engine power deficit a bigger problem – Verstappen

5SharesMax Verstappen says Red Bull’s title chances have taken a dive. Although the Dutchman won in Austria, he says at...

2018 F17 days ago

Ricciardo admits 2019 Red Bull contract ‘likely’

1ShareDaniel Ricciardo now says it is “likely” he will stay at Red Bull in 2019. Earlier, the Red Bull driver...




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media