Lewis wraps up opening pre-season test with solid mileage haul in Spain
MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS concluded the opening test of the 2015 season today at the Circuito de Jerez, with Lewis Hamilton at the wheel of the F1 W06 Hybrid. Lewis’ best time of 1:22.172 from 117 laps put him third on the time sheets.
- Today’s programme comprised long runs and practice pit stops
- Lewis emerged for his first run at precisely 09:00 CET, completing 44 laps before lunch and a further 73 after
- The F1 W06 Hybrid remained parked over lunch as the crew investigated a cooling problem, before returning to the track for the afternoon
- Mercedes-Benz Power Units today completed a total of 1076 km
- MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS completed 516 laps (2284 km) of the Circuito de Jerez over the four day test
- The team will now return to Brackley to prepare for the second pre-season test of 2015 in Barcelona
Lewis Hamilton: It’s been pretty amazing this week to see how reliable the car has been and how much mileage we’ve covered. The team here at the track and back at the factories is so enthusiastic and energized which is great to see. We all loved the experience of last year and everyone wants to do it again. This is where you prove out the car – looking for as many laps as you can, not searching for fast times. It’s been really positive from that perspective and every day here the car has got better as we learn more about it. Everyone will keep bringing upgrades through pre-season, so the cars will develop and they will improve and that then carries on through the first race. I can’t really say much about the performance of the car yet but it doesn’t feel any worse than last year’s, which is a good sign. I’m fit and ready to go – 117 laps today felt fairly easy – so I’m already looking forward to getting back to it in Barcelona.