Connect with us

Latest F1 News

Marussia set to run two cars in US Grand Prix

Published

on

121106055820-motorsport-usgp-circuit-horizontal-gallery
Marussia looks set to revert to a two-car operation in the wake of the Russian grand prix.

After Sunday at Sochi, where Max Chilton went it alone while the seriously injured Jules Bianchi’s sister car sat dormant, Briton Chilton admitted it had been “an incredibly tough week” for the entire team.

Boss John Booth is still at Bianchi’s hospital bedside in Japan, leaving Graeme Lowdon to deny rumours late on Sunday that Chilton had retired after just ten laps at Sochi because he was overcome with grief.

Despite Marussia’s contractual obligations, Bernie Ecclestone and the FIA allowed the team to sit Bianchi’s car out in Russia out of respect for the stricken Frenchman.

It was however a risk to not run the second car in Russia, given Marussia’s lucrative ninth place position at present in the crucial constructors’ standings.

“It’s a very important position for us,” agreed Lowdon, “and we’re largely in that position because of Jules.

“We thought that the right thing to do was to come here, take part in the event but as a mark of support to Jules and as a mark of respect to his mum and dad and to Jules’ family we would withdraw the second car,” he added.

It is likely, however, that Marussia will now revert to a two-car operation for the decisive last three grands prix of the season, starting with US Grand Prix early next month.

Bianchi’s crash came at the worst possible time for Marussia, with the backmarker team struggling financially.

The Times reports that main investor Andrey Cheglakov, a Russian, was at Sochi for the inaugural race but there is “no word” as to whether he will keep the team alive for another year.

Defending ninth place in the championship from the similarly-struggling Caterham appears to be the team’s best play.

“The best thing we can do for Jules and the family is to really try to protect the position in the championship he gave us,” said Lowdon.

“It (Monaco) was a really great drive and that got us something really valuable in sporting terms,” he is quoted by the Mirror.

Chief engineer Dave Greenwood also hinted that Marussia, likely to field its Californian reserve Alexander Rossi, will be back on track with two cars in Austin and beyond.

“At some stage we will need to look ahead to the remaining races of the season, but for now, we’re pleased to be heading home,” he said on Sunday. (GMM)

Loading...

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2019 F12 hours ago

Hamilton says he will test MotoGP bike

Team boss Toto Wolff has admitted Lewis Hamilton and his Mercedes engineers did not tell him about a secret superbike...

2019 F12 hours ago

Ferrari may charge for fastest lap in future

Ferrari may chase the bonus ‘point for fastest lap’ in Bahrain and beyond. In Melbourne, surprised and disappointed to be...

2019 F12 hours ago

Glock defends Kubica after poor F1 return

Timo Glock has defended Robert Kubica in the wake of the Pole’s disappointing return to F1 in Melbourne. Kubica’s comeback...

2019 F13 hours ago

No new Bottas in Melbourne – Ralf Schumacher

Ralf Schumacher has hit back at claims that F1 gave birth to a “new” Valtteri Bottas in Melbourne. Disappointed with...

2019 F13 hours ago

Work begins on Vietnam F1 track

Work on Vietnam’s new F1 circuit for 2020 began this week. DPA news agency says FIA president Jean Todt was...

2019 F14 hours ago

Alguersuari felt like a puppet in F1

Former F1 driver Jaime Alguersuari says the top category of motor racing turns drivers into “a puppet”. The Spaniard, now...

2019 F14 hours ago

‘Our system is different to what is done in F1’ – Ezpeleta

Carmelo Ezpeleta, boss of the MotoGP rights holder Dorna, has suggested that the premier motorcycle racing category’s funding model is...

2019 F14 hours ago

Melbourne to proceed with full resurfacing

Organisers of the Australian grand prix look set to proceed with a full resurfacing of the Albert Park track in...

2019 F15 hours ago

Domenicali tips Ferrari to bounce back in Bahrain

Former Ferrari boss Stefano Domenicali is expecting the Maranello team to bounce back in Bahrain. “Yes, that was a difficult...

2019 F15 hours ago

Wolff rubbishes breakaway series rumours

Toto Wolff has rubbished rumours he might be part of a movement to set up a rival world championship. Auto...




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media