Connect with us

2014 F1

F1 to allow Stefan GP and Kolles for 2015 campaign

Published

on

  • 21
    Shares
Colin Kolles (left), team principal of HRT

Colin Kolles (left), team principal of HRT

F1 is set to allow two new teams through the paddock turnstiles for 2015. Days ago, the sport’s chief executive said the bid made by Nascar team co-owner Gene Haas to enter F1 next year has been successful.

“I think Haas will be accepted,” he said last week.

Now in Bahrain, the 83-year-old Briton said a second team has also been approved.

Zoran Stefanovich, chief of the failed Stefan GP outfit, has already confirmed he has withdrawn his application after failing to agree a 2015 engine deal.

So the second new 2015 team must be the former HRT chief, Colin Kolles, who according to Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport has the backing of wealthy Monaco-based Romanians.

Ecclestone said on Sunday: “They (Haas) will be accepted, and we’ve also accepted another team as well, although whether they’ll make it or not is another story.

“But we are happy to have another couple of teams. I’ve spoken to (FIA president) Jean Todt and we agreed.”

Meanwhile, Ecclestone also told reporters in Bahrain he is confident some rule changes will be rushed through to appease fans who are unhappy with the ‘new’ face of F1.

It appears the major changes under consideration are a relaxing of the engine ‘freeze’ rules – so that struggling Renault and Ferrari can catch up – and an extra 10kg of fuel for each car per race to end the ‘economy runs’.

But total unanimity is required, and dominant Mercedes’ Toto Wolff on Saturday said the prospect of mid-season rule changes is “absurd”.

“Mercedes are going to be behind it. I think they’ll be the leaders,” Ecclestone said.

“We can do things without them particularly losing their advantage,” he added. “Without any doubt they have done a better job and they shouldn’t be punished for that.”

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo, causing a stir in the paddock on Sunday with a rare appearance ahead of his talks with Ecclestone and Todt, is clearly pushing for changes.

But he also said he respects Mercedes’ position at the front of the pack.

“It doesn’t mean we have to change (rules) now,” said the Italian, “but we need to look ahead.

“I think not changing the rules for the short time is possible to do. I understand Mercedes’ position, but for me formula one is more important so we have to have common goals.” (GMM)

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2018 F122 hours ago

F1 teams worried about Brexit crisis

21SharesF1 teams admit they are worried about the Brexit crisis that is occurring in Britain. After British people voted in...

2018 F122 hours ago

‘I have mixed feelings’ about Kubica return – Vettel

21SharesSebastian Vettel says he has “mixed feelings” about Robert Kubica’s return to formula one. Former grand prix winner Kubica, now...

2018 F122 hours ago

Monza seeking EUR 100m for upgrade

21SharesMonza is looking for EUR 100 million to upgrade the Italian grand prix venue and secure a new grand prix...

2018 F12 days ago

Sirotkin to test DTM, Hartley to Porsche

21SharesSergey Sirotkin could keep his motor racing career alive in the German touring car series DTM. SMP Racing, his Russian...

2018 F12 days ago

McLaren not ‘copying’ Red Bull car – Sainz

21SharesCarlos Sainz has played down claims McLaren is ‘copying’ Red Bull’s chassis concept for 2019. With Red Bull moving to...

2018 F12 days ago

Barcelona hopes for new F1 contract

21SharesOrganisers of the Spanish grand prix are still not sure they will reach a new agreement with Liberty Media. Vicenc...

2018 F13 days ago

Berger sees F1 chance for nephew Auer

21Shares is hoping his nephew may have a future in formula one. One the one hand, the F1 legend said...

2018 F13 days ago

Hamilton teammate Bottas ‘is not there’ – Verstappen

21SharesMax Verstappen has admitted he will try to emulate Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes’ approach to winning the world championship. The...

2018 F13 days ago

Mexico GP future in doubt

21SharesA cloud has moved above the future of the highly popular Mexican grand prix. The rejuvenated race at the iconic...

2018 F13 days ago

“I did not lose confidence in myself at any time,” – Carlos Sainz

21SharesCarlos Sainz says he will do his best to “lead” McLaren from the cockpit in 2019. The Spaniard is moving...




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media