Connect with us

2013 F1

Ferrari tick off Alonso with public rebuke

Published

on

Ferrari tick off Alonso with public rebukeFerrari president Luca di Montezemolo dealt Fernando Alonso an unusual public rebuke on his birthday on Monday for significant comments following Hungarian Grand Prix.

Following the Hungarian GP Alonso was quoted in the Italian press saying he would like a faster car for his birthday on July 29 even as he told English reporters that Ferrari had produced new parts at recent races that were not working.

After the comment Montezemolo replied that “there is a need to close ranks, without giving in to rash outbursts that, while understandable in the immediate aftermath of a bad result, are no use to anyone.”

Ferrari website quoted President Luca di Montezemolo as telling the Spaniard in a telephone conversation to wish him a happy 32nd birthday.

“That was a reference to the latest comments from Fernando Alonso, which did not go down well with Montezemolo, nor with anyone in the team. So, when Montezemolo called the Spaniard this morning to wish him a happy birthday, he also tweaked his ear.”

The editorial went on to straight quotation part of what Montezemolo said to Alonso. “All the great champions who have driven for Ferrari have always been asked to put the interests of the team above their own,” the Ferrari president told his driver.

“This is the moment to stay calm, avoid polemics and show humility and determination in making one’s own contribution, standing alongside the team and its people both at the track and outside it.”

“At Silverstone we did a step backwards with the performance of the car,” he said.

“For the Nurburging we came back to some old parts on the car and the behaviour was much more normal, and then at the Young Driver Test we had the confirmation that we needed to go back to some parts we used previously.

“Now we understand the car, we understand the problems.We know that we produced a car that was not working and in a way it is normal to have this deficit now because the car we are driving is with the very old parts.

“Over the summer we need to make the step forward that we thought we should make at Silverstone. We need these couple of tenths that did not appear to come immediately for Spa and Monza to have the same performance with the cars we are fighting for the world championship.”

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2018 F112 hours ago

Raikkonen could return to Sauber F1 for 2019

313SharesThe signs are growing ever stronger that Ferrari will have a new driver in 2019. Kimi Raikkonen admits that it...

2018 F112 hours ago

Red Bull encourages Honda power to prepare for 2019 F1

1ShareRed Bull is encouraging Toro Rosso and Honda to help the senior energy drink-owned team prepare for 2019. Honda already...

2018 F124 hours ago

Hamilton and Vettel Battling For The F1 Title

238SharesThe British Grand Prix at Silverstone is one that Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes have dominated for years and that trend...

2018 F14 days ago

Can Red Bull Challenge Mercedes And Ferrari?

24SharesSo, things didn’t exactly go to plan for Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes at Silverstone as the Brit made a disastrous...

2018 F14 days ago

Liberty working on securing future of British GP – Brawn

5SharesRoss Brawn says Liberty Media is working on securing the future of the British grand prix. Silverstone owner the BRDC...

2018 F15 days ago

Grosjean form ‘unacceptable’ – Haas F1

1ShareGunther Steiner says a “critical moment” could come amid his patience with struggling Haas driver Romain Grosjean. Frenchman Grosjean has...

2018 F15 days ago

No ‘negotiations’ with Raikkonen yet – McLaren

36Shares Zak Brown says McLaren has not yet opened contract talks with former team driver Kimi Raikkonen. It is rumoured in...

2018 F15 days ago

Wolff wants Hamilton beyond 2020

660SharesToto Wolff has revealed he wants to keep Lewis Hamilton at Mercedes even beyond 2020. Although not yet announced, it...

2018 F15 days ago

Renault engine power deficit a bigger problem – Verstappen

5SharesMax Verstappen says Red Bull’s title chances have taken a dive. Although the Dutchman won in Austria, he says at...

2018 F17 days ago

Ricciardo admits 2019 Red Bull contract ‘likely’

1ShareDaniel Ricciardo now says it is “likely” he will stay at Red Bull in 2019. Earlier, the Red Bull driver...




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media