Last week the Polish motorsports speedy Robert Kubica is set to test a Mercedes DTM car, Auto Motor und Sport reports. Kubica will test HWA-Mercedes DTM car at Valencia next week, alongside with race driver Gary Paffett, he is also part of McLaren F1 test driver line-up.
This is the first time the Pole on test track, since recovering from terrible accident in a 2011 rallying crash at Italy following his right arm and hand heavily injured.
Last Tuesday Mercedes boss Toto Wolff says that Robert Kubica is not yet physically ready to test a Formula 1 car. But quickly Kubica says, is still a Formula One comeback.
“I still believe I can come back,” he told F1 Racing magazine.
“It’s not just a dream. Right now I have limitations with driving single-seaters, but they are less than they look from the outside.
“Things are improving. It wasn’t like this six months ago and it wasn’t like this three months ago. And thanks to rallies and tests on the race track, slowly my condition is improving – but there’s still a long way to go.
“If you cannot have the thing you want, you want the thing you have. Most important for me is that I have seen the pace is still there and I am absolutely sure I can drive competitively again.”
“The bigger problem is the limitation in the supination and pronation of the arm and the limited functionality in my fingers.
“But I’m convinced that this will come back slowly. Nerves need a lot of time and I see progress even if it’s slow. I am quite sure this will be… not fixed, but not a big problem.”