Uncategorized

Webber should consider move to Ferrari – Alan Jones

Red Bull’s Mark Webber should consider a move to Ferrari if a suitable proposes is made; according to ex- world champion Alan Jones.

Webber thrust himself firmly into contention for this season’s F1 world title with the eighth victory of his career on Sunday, and second around Monaco.

Webber has hauled himself level on points alongside Red Bull teammate Sebastian Vettel, with the duo three adrift of Fernando Alonso in his Ferrari.

The suggestion has long been this would 35-year-old Webber’s final season with Red Bull, who he has driven for since 2007, although given he has been linked with Ferrari as a replacement for Felipe Massa, he could be lured to Maranello for a swansong end to his days in Formula One.

Jones, the 1980 world champion for Williams, says driving for Ferrari is something that every F1 driver aspires to, and that Webber should consider a stint at the famous Italian team.

“Mark has already done one of the two things that most Formula One drivers would like to do, and that’s win Monaco – the other one is to drive for Ferrari,” Jones said.

“I’m sure he’d have a look at it. If he goes to Ferrari, it could be a breath of fresh air – it’s very prestigious and something really good to have on your CV.

“He gets on extremely well with Alonso, so maybe that could be a good way for him to go.

“Personally, I think that Mark is with a good team (but) having said that, if he signed on with Red Bull next year, he’s still going to have Vettel as his teammate, which is a pretty hard task.”

Meanwhile, Red Bull team boss Christian Horner can see no reason why Webber would want to leave – even if Ferrari came calling.

“Why would he want to leave?” Horner asked.

“He is comfortable in the team. The team know Mark very well and he knows the team very well.

“We are only at race six and a lot depends on his motivation and desire going forward which, at the moment, looks very clear.”

Webber is on a rolling one-year contract although, over the past two years, has signed at different stages.

Two years ago, he put pen to paper on a deal for 2011 during the course of the Monaco Grand Prix but, last year, did not sign up for this season until very late in the day.

It is clear no talks have yet taken place on the prospect of staying on for next year, as Horner said: “We’re only in May this year.

“Mark is doing a good job, so let’s focus on his latest Monaco win and his future will take care of itself.

“We have a very open and straightforward relationship with Mark and this does not change that situation.”

Source: AAP


All material and photos are copyrighted material and owned by their respective owners. Use or depiction of images or trademarks throughout this website is for illustrative and editorial purposes only.Images come courtesy of; ferrari.com, mclaren.com, Sahara forceindiaf1.com, redbull.com, mercedesgp.com, Caterham F1, toyota, Sauber, williamsf1, lotus, Marussia, HRT, getty Images,LAT, Reuters Pictures and AP Photos.


http://www.formula1onlive.com/feeds/posts/default?alt=rss

Facebook Comments
Loading...
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV or any other subsidiary associated with the official Formula One governing organizations The website is an unofficial website, all names and logos used here are property of their respective owners, more specially FORMULA 1, FORMULA ONE, F1, GRAND PRIX and logos and the wide Curves logo are trademarks of Formula One Licensing BV, a Formula One Group Company. Use or depiction of images or trademarks throughout this website is for illustrative and editorial purposes only. Official Formula One information can be found at www.formula1.com

Copyright © 2015 Thisisf1.com

To Top