|Rosberg drives during the final practice
for the Australian GP © Mercedes
Quickly Mercedes responds Formula 1 way out plans rumours, recently some media reports says Mercedes on edge to leaving Formula 1 and they are still “in discussions” with Formula 1 rights holder Bernie Ecclestone.
According to a report from The Times newspaper’s F1 correspondent Kevin Eason claims Mercedes could walk away.
‘Mercedes, which is estimated to have spent more than £1 billion on grand-prix racing in the past two decades, is on the verge of quitting Formula One as the company is denied a seat in the new boardroom that will control the sport when a Stock Exchange float is completed,’ reported the newspaper on Monday.
‘Red Bull, the relative newcomers to grand-prix racing, and Ferrari have both been promised boardroom places by Bernie Ecclestone, Formula One’s chief executive, as he lines up a float that could value Formula One at up to £6 billion.’
The report continues: ‘Mercedes, who registered their first win of the modern era in China only last month, have been isolated with McLaren, their former partners, also being handed a place.’
But the Mercedes has rejected itself from the reports – a spokesman told Sky Sports: “We are in discussions with the commercial rights holder and we would like to ask for your understanding that we are not currently commenting on these discussions.”
Mercedes motorsport boss Norbert Haug has also denied the rumours, telling Auto Motor und Sport: “There is absolutely no truth to that.”
All material and photos are copyrighted material and owned by their respective owners. Use or depiction of images or trademarks throughout this website is for illustrative and editorial purposes only.Images come courtesy of; ferrari.com, mclaren.com, Sahara forceindiaf1.com, redbull.com, mercedesgp.com, Caterham F1, toyota, Sauber, williamsf1, lotus, Marussia, HRT, Daylife.com, getty Images/LAT and AP Photos.