Uncategorized

Protesters calling F1 to cancel 2012 Bahrain GP

In this photo taken March 24, 2011, a riot  
policeman is seen during chases with Bahraini
anti-government protesters © AP Photos

(Aljazeera) Bahraini police have fired tear gas and arrested demonstrators in two Shia villages during protests against the Formula One race to be held in the Gulf kingdom, activists said.

Dozens of young protesters gathered on Sunday in the village of Abu Saiba, west of Manama, and Tubli, south of the capital Manama, according to postings by the Coalition of the Youth of the February 14th Revolution on Facebook.

Bahraini anti-government protesters clash with
riot police Saturday © AP Photos

Riot police vehicle drives through a fire from a
petrol bomb from anti-government demonstrators,
during clashes Saturday © AP Photos

Police fired tear gas to disperse the small gatherings and made some arrests, according to provided footage.

Activists have intensified their campaign to push the Formula One governing body to cancel the Bahrain round of the world championship, slated for April 20 to April 22 at the Sakhir circuit southwest of Manama.

The race was canceled last year due to protests that gripped the Shia-majority state after a mid-March crackdown on protests demanding democratic reforms that would challenge the power of the Sunni Al-Khalifa ruling dynasty.

“We [object to] holding a sports race that belittles the sacrifices of our children and ignores our suffering and wounds,” said a statement read by a youth dressed in a white death shroud and a black hood, according to a video posted on the internet.

“Do not tarnish the reputation of the respected auto sport with the blood of Bahrain victims.”

On the internet site Twitter, a whole campaign has been launched against the return of the Grand Prix to Bahrain.

“Stop, my blood is flowing” and “Race over blood”, were two slogans posted by activists on Twitter, where hash-tags like “BloodyF1” and “NoF1” have generated scores of tweets.

Bernie Ecclestone, president of Formula One, has insisted that the outbreak of fresh violence will not affect this year’s race.

According to an independent investigation, 35 people were killed in the violence in Bahrain between mid-February and mid-March 2011.

Source – Aljazeera


All material and photos are copyrighted material and owned by their respective owners. Use or depiction of images or trademarks throughout this website is for illustrative and editorial purposes only.Images come courtesy of; ferrari.com, mclaren.com, Sahara forceindiaf1.com, redbull.com, mercedesgp.com, Caterham F1, toyota, Sauber, williamsf1, lotus, Marussia, HRT, Daylife.com, getty Images/LAT and AP Photos.


http://www.formula1onlive.com/feeds/posts/default?alt=rss

Facebook Comments
Loading...
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV or any other subsidiary associated with the official Formula One governing organizations The website is an unofficial website, all names and logos used here are property of their respective owners, more specially FORMULA 1, FORMULA ONE, F1, GRAND PRIX and logos and the wide Curves logo are trademarks of Formula One Licensing BV, a Formula One Group Company. Use or depiction of images or trademarks throughout this website is for illustrative and editorial purposes only. Official Formula One information can be found at www.formula1.com

Copyright © 2015 Thisisf1.com

To Top