Sauber rejected the speculation that Sergio Perez was ordered not to attack Fernando Alonso in Sunday’s Malaysian GP.
Perez was more aggressive in Malaysian GP and he was reduce the gap with Alonso in second-half of the race, the gap cut to just .9s a radio message sent to Perez “be careful, we need this position, we need this position.”
After the communication the Mexican ran wide following touching the kerb and lost five seconds, he come-back strongly in finally session and he finished 2.2 second behind the winner Alonso.
Currently Ferrari supply the engines for Sauber and Mexican is member of the Ferrari Young Driver Academy. Other than the speculation that Perez possibly joins Ferrari to replace Felipe Massa next season.
“He meant that we needed the result. It’s a misunderstanding,” said the team boss.
“It was because that behind us, all the midfield teams, our main competitors, scored points. So it was important we kept the result and not the position.”
Pressed on whether Perez had been told to stay behind Alonso, Sauber said: “No. We told him ‘be careful we need the result’.”
Asked about whether there had been any talks with Ferrari, he added: “No. 100 percent no. 100 percent nothing. We had no discussion about Checo nor the position.”
All material and photos are copyrighted material and owned by their respective owners. Use or depiction of images or trademarks throughout this website is for illustrative and editorial purposes only.Images come courtesy of; ferrari.com, mclaren.com, Sahara forceindiaf1.com, redbull.com, mercedesgp.com, Caterham F1, toyota, Sauber, williamsf1, lotus, Marussia, HRT, Daylife.com, getty Images/LAT and AP Photos.