Force India launched their 2012 Challenger VJM05 at Silverstone on Today (Friday) morning. Silverstone based F1 squad targeting fifth place. The Mercedes powered VJM05 greatly modified sidepods and a stepped nose, in line with 2012 F1 regulation changes. Force India team principal and drivers told Formula 1 Official site about new VJM05.
“We have set our sights on challenging for fifth place,” explained team principal Dr Vijay Mallya. “To do so we will need to begin the new campaign by delivering the kind of form we showed in the second half of 2011. I believe this is a realistic goal and that we have the talent and determination to realise these ambitions.”
“The car looks more refined; a lot racier and a lot more purposeful,” said Green following the launch. “You can start to see the aerodynamic concepts coming through now. It looks quite a bit different to the previous years, and so far the performance in the tunnel has been encouraging.”
Paul di Resta and Nico Hulkenberg will drive Force India VJM05 for 2012 F1 season.
“Seeing the new car built and complete for the first time is always an exciting moment,” said Di Resta. “It’s when you realise that all the waiting is finally over and the season is beginning for real. I’ve had a good winter and I’ve recharged my batteries, but now I’m fully focussed on 2012 and looking forward to the start of testing. There’s a really positive feeling in the team, good stability and hopefully we can pick up where we left off at the end of last year.”
Hulkenberg added that: “I saw the new car in the wind tunnel a few times and followed its progress during the winter. It looks aggressive and fast, but we won’t know where we stand until we get out there and compete against the others.
“Preparations for the new season have been full-on with simulator sessions and lots of fitness training. I feel ready to get back to racing and I’m excited to find out what the new car feels like next week.”
Images © Force India