Robert Kubica has suffered one more stoppage in his attempt to reappear to F1 after breaking his right leg in an accident at his home in Italy. His same leg broke in a high-speed rally crash last year.
Kubica wants an operation to have a metal screw put in just above his ankle and then faces a month in plaster. The Pole said to have lost his footing in the garden of his house in Pietrasanta, near the coastal town of Viareggio.
Kubica is now out of deal with his former team Renault (Lotus) , after it was announced last November that he would not be ready to return by the start of the season. He is still expecting to make a return to F1 but it remains uncertain when – or if – he will have sufficient mobility and feeling in his right hand to drive a grand prix car.
Lotus has said that they would like to help him return, but they have already signed former world champion Kimi Raikkonen and novice Romain Grosjean for the 2012 season, and they have admitted their relationship with Kubica was at “point zero”.
Kubica, who was one of the most highly rated drivers in F1 before his accident, has also been linked with Ferrari. Team boss Stefano Domenicali was asked on Wednesday, before Kubica’s latest injury became public, about the prospects of him joining Fernando Alonso at the Italian team in 2013. “Robert is a great driver, but he had very severe injuries and he is still working to get back to normal living. We need to wait to see. That kind of injury takes a long time to recover from.” Domenicali said.