Massa was the opening to venture out, followed by Fairuz Fauzy, who was given the honor of getting behind the wheel of the new Lotus T127 in its first official test. Subsequent a short break after the putting in laps, which were finished by all the teams without Virgin Racing within the first 20 minutes, Fauzy hit the track again to put in his first timed lap.
Lotus test driver clocked a 1:46.652 in his brief two-lap run. However, the team had no complaints. Fairuz just did a couple of laps on a wet track with no troubles, he’s in now for some adjustments, Lotus reported on Twitter.
The team Lotus driver’s time, though, was over 16s off the lead time set by Michael Schumacher. Even as his rivals were lapping in the 1:33s to start with, Schumacher’s first flying lap of the day was a 1:30.549.It wasn’t a good start to the test for Hamilton and McLaren as the Brit brought out the red flags when he stopped out on track.
Following a 16 minute delay the session was resumed only to be stopped 4 minutes later as Paul di Resta spun his Force India. Schumi consequently finished the opening hour in the P1 slot with Pedro de la Rosa 0.214s behind and Felipe Massa in third place.
1. M. Schumacher Mercedes GP W01 1:30.549 5 laps
2. P. de la Rosa Sauber C29 1:30.763 +0.214 10 laps
3. F. Massa Ferrari F60 1:31.728 +1.179 4 laps
4. S. Vettel Red Bull Racing RB6 1:32.761 +2.212 12 laps
5. P. di Resta Force India VJM-03 1:33.459 +2.910 9 laps
6. R. Barrichello Williams FW32 1:36.840 +6.291 8 laps
7. S. Buemi Toro Rosso STR5 1:38.443 +7.894 8 laps
8. L. Hamilton McLaren MP4-25 1:39.121 +8.572 5 laps
9. F. Fauzy Lotus F1 T127 1:46.652 +16.103 2 laps